Alternative to VLC for playing .iso DVD file?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by generalist, Aug 4, 2013.

1. generalist Guest

generalist

I have a number of episodes of my favorite television show saved on my Mac and they are in .iso format. Essentially, a full image of the physical dvd. I'm able to play the .iso with no problems with VLC Player.

But, I'm just curious, are there any other programs that play these besides VLC?

Thanks

2. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

3. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

Have you tried Plex and XBMC?

4. generalist thread starter Guest

generalist

Care to enlighten me?

----------

Have not. I'll try those, thank you!

5. altuixde macrumors member

Apple's DVD Player application can do it. Mount the iso, and in DVD Player choose "Open DVD Media" from the File menu.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

VLC works just fine for me. It's so good that I've never felt the need to look for alternatives.

7. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

copy n paste from this link:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Features_and_supported_formats

2.2.2 Video player
    XBMC uses a video-player 'core' for video-playback called "DVDPlayer". This in-house developed cross-platform media player was originally designed to play back DVD-Video movies, and this includes support native for DVD-menus, (based on the free open source libraries code libdvdcss and libdvdnav). DVDPlayer is based on FFmpeg and today supports all widespread mainstream formats. One relatively unusual feature of this DVD-player core is the capability to on-the-fly pause and play DVD-Video movies that are stored in ISO and IMG DVD-images or DVD-Video (IFO/VOB/BUP) images (even directly from uncompressed RAR and ZIP archives), from either local harddrive storage or network-share storage.