alternative to vlc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Turian.Spectre, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

itunes not an option. i just want a good audio player which doesnt crash all the time like vlc! but can play a lot of formats. whats good out there?

2. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

hmmm. looks a little too much. i just want something to play 1 song at a time that i double click on, without worrying about libraries, or anything else.

3. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

if i double click a new song with cog, it just adds it to the playlist. need something to play right away like vlc. but without the constant crashing!

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Quicklook?

Or does that not play enough formats?

5. KirkL macrumors 6502

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I just started using Vox today actually. So far it's been a great audio player replacement from what I've seen and used and the interface looks cool to boot.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you using the latest VLC version? Or why is it "always" crashing? What kind of audio formats do you want to play?

8. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

Perfect!!! and you can even change colors. with my regular use, has not crashed even once. awesome. thank you thank you

9. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

normally i play mp3, and aac (m4a itunes format) when i work on my music i listen to what i want to keep and what to trash, im bad with names, but very fast once i listen to the song. so normally i click on it, listen 1-2 seconds, move on to the next. that quick switching usually has vlc crashing. i use the latest version on snow leopard. 1.1.3

just fyi now, since i got have VOX =DDDDD

10. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

i take that back. vox has bugs. ie: only sees the first 25 seconds of duration of some songs, but plays past that. so cant fast forward...

11. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

double clicking a new song opens a second quicktime window. not so quick, and wastes my time...

12. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

If you are just playing MP3s and AACs, i dont' see why you can't use Quicklook.

It's even native to OS X...all you need to do is press space bar when you have highlighted the relevant file.

13. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

OMG. i didnt even know such a thing existed... not with music anyways, i only thought it was for pics. thanks. that works =)