Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leezabet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Seems to be an abundance of so-called sticky notes for Mac but I haven't found one that will stick to a specific document or window and otherwise remain hidden, like Notezilla - a hugely valuable program that keeps me a prisoner of Windows (in addition to my MacBook Pro, not instead of). Seems like such an obviously desirable feature I am wondering why no one has done it for Mac - or have I missed something? Or is it the architecture of OSX that doesn't allow it?

Leezabet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2014
There is one called Antnotes: http://antlogic.com.ua/apps/antnotes

What's New in Version 1.2.0
- new feature: attach note to any application!
Thanks for this clue. I checked it out; a user reviewer also said: "You can attach apps to specific applications, so they only show when that program/app is running. Super convenient." Not the same as attaching to specific documents or windows, my principal need, but worth a try, and it's cheap ($3).

I'm still interested in knowing why the attach-to-documents feature has not been accomplished by any of the many stickum-notes apps for the Mac. Again, I suspect there's an architectural reason?

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, thanks for the clue!

As for a possible reason why no other apps seem to be doing this (?), I'd venture that app-notes are just one of the easiest (if not THE easiest) kind of apps to program - basically a step past Hello World. So, lots of devs might be doing them, but hardly any spend any time doing anything interesting with it.

The kinda interesting thing is the quantity of barely-baked published, and even paid, apps available for note taking...

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
Just checked AntNotes in the app store. It costs 0.99 eur, but seems rather in the amateurish side. Another app which does the stick-notes-to-apps thing is Sticky Notes, which costs 7.99 eur, and seems more polished. Probably I will get the later, because it offers Spotlight indexing, while the former only offers explanations in its forums about why it can't be done.
There are more than 700 apps doing notes in one or another way, but after checking a bit, the "stick to apps" seems indeed rare.

minton

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2004
California
So to recap:

- Notezilla on Windows can stick notes to webpages / apps. Truly a remarkable feature - imagine having a note popup on Macrumors with all your mac buying notes, then that note disappears when you jump over to Reddit and is replace with a specific note for each subreddit you often visit.

- The Sticky Notes app in the last post I haven't checked as it's been abandoned.

- The newest option which I'm testing now: Ghostnote which seems to do exactly what I and others are looking for. This app also has the ability to change to a different note according to the browser URL

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
For inside the browser, there's a Firefox add-on called OurStickys that attaches notes to pages/domains, syncs online, and is free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.