Alternative way to purchase 3GS (Not through AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryguy2303, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

I am not eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS and was wondering if there are any other ways to go about getting the phone since I am unwilling to fork out $399-599 for it.

I looked on eBay and Craigslist but all the phones there cost even more… any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

3. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

4. ryguy2303 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

lol, figured.
    thanks

5. pepe8714 macrumors newbie

if you have a previous version of iphone, or any iphone for that matter, that has water damage, you can take it in for a genius bar appointment but due to teh water damage they will immediately offer you a $199 out of warranty replacement. this neither requires an upgrade nor does it require you to extend your contract for two more years. as an added bonus, you get to keep your 'damaged' phone!

best way if you ask me...

6. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Well since he want's a 3GS how does that really do him any good if he doesn't have one?

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thats not normal. Apple is supposed to collect the damaged phone.

8. ryguy2303 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

9. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

10. ryguy2303 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

well would that get me the phone for cheaper?

11. pepe8714 macrumors newbie

Yes, this is completely normal. It's happened to me twice now.

It's different than getting your phone replaced with a refurb because somethign is faulty. this is simply a new phone at a discounted rate because of water damage.

im not going to look it up because im lazy but there is a specific mention of this in the AT&T/Apple contract.

you can talk about it all you want, but when you walk in and pay money for a new phone because yours is damaged you definitely get to keep the damaged phone. if you pay no money, the phone must be returned. simple as that.

oh and you can also cancel your contract before 30 days is up and not have to return the phone. its shocking how many naysayers there are on here about simple things that happen on a daily basis....

shocking really....

12. Tharian macrumors regular

If a damaged phone is replaced through the Genius Bar, the old phone is ALWAYS taken.

-d

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Except that a new iPhone costs more than $199. The reason why you only pay $199 is because they take the damaged one so they can refurbish it and use it for exchanges.

And no, you only get to keep the phone if you cancel after 30 days.

14. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Umm... you're wrong. Simple as that.

15. jseyf5 macrumors member

jseyf5

Do what i did. Sell your 3g on ebay for like 350-400, and then just use the early upgrade thing and its 399. So you might have to pay like 50 bucks max

16. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Pepe, your an idiot. Did you even read the op's post? Probably not. He wants a 3gs not the same phone he already has that's working! Take your useless incorrect info somewhere else.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There is no other way to get the subsidized price.

18. pepe8714 macrumors newbie

Guys, you all really need to calm down.

Firstly, I HAVE done the in store replacement TWICE. Both times they let me keep my 'water damaged phone'. I paid $199 both times for a new phone of the same model (However the second time they did not have 16gb 3g in stock so they gave me the 16gb 3gs instead).

Secondly, you absolutely do not have to give the phone back if you cancel before 30 days. Order the phone online, call them in 5 days, give whatever excuse you like. (lost/stolen/in a lake) Contract is cancelled, phone kept.

Notice in the fine print it says " you MAY be required to return your phone if contract is cancelled in the first 30 days"

no more arguing

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Sorry about not arguing, but I've seen literally hundreds of out-of-warranty iPhone/iPod replacements, and it IS Apple's policy to recover the damaged device.

It's great that you've apparently run into people (twice) that didn't follow that policy with you, but you're not doing anyone here a favor here by implying that they'll receive the same treatment at their local Genius Bar.