Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Would really appreciate anyone's help in this because I've had some guys try to help me and so far nothing seems to be working. Will post a link to where it was all laid out so I don't omit anything that might be important.

By the way, my modem's a Westell 6100F if that makes a difference.

Full inquiry here.

Thank you so much for any help in the matter!

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Transmission has a mode set by default to "prefer encrypted peers" and then to ultimately "ignore unencrypted peers" which you can set in its preferences. Never tried uTorrent for Mac but IMO it's the best out there for Windows.

As far as your firewall goes, chances are you need to open the ports in your router, unless you just go straight from the modem to the computer.

If you don't use a router, then just completely disable the software firewall on your computer to see if the error reappears, and if it does, you'll need to go into your firewall settings and manually open the ports. Generally you can find out what ports those are within the applications network settings. If disabling the system firewall doesn't get rid of the error and you're not using a router, then it could possibly be blocked by your ISP. Google your ISP, bittorrent, and block all together in a search an dsee what comes up.

Duo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
I'm not quite sure about this but I'm starting to get the feeling that my problem has a lot to do with my ISP instead of the clients themselves. Can anyone recommend any ISPs that don't make it too difficult for you to configure your ports, firewalls and such to use with BitTorrent?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
That's between you and your router. The ISP has no involvement there. They can disable particular ports if they want, but port forwarding is done in your router. Check your router's documentation.

Horst

Jan 10, 2006
I'm using Verizon with a Westell 6100 as well at the moment, and also noticed torrent speed issues, with uTorrent.

As suggested above, if you use the Westell as a router, make sure to set up port forwarding for the range of ports you are going to use with the BT client.

I did it the other way, I bridged the Westell to act as a modem only, and now connect with my computer via PPPoe, problem solved.

You can find a ton of information and tutorials here .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.