alternative ways to power on your macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lacs21, Jun 5, 2009.

1. lacs21 macrumors newbie

Hi

Is there a way to turn you macbook on with out opening up your macbook clam shell and pressing the power button. Is it possible to turn the macbook on with a usb connected keyboard?

thanks for your help

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

It might be possible with the old keyboards that had the power button on them, but I do doubt that, since when the laptop is off none of the USB ports get any power.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I take it then on Desktops the USBs DO get power when the machine is off?

4. jlamb0 macrumors member

My blackbook's usb ports DO get power when the machine is asleep, as long as the AC adaptor is connected and plugged in.

I know this, because I am able to charge my iPod when the Macbook is asleep and plugged in. If power is disconnected, the iPod stops charging.

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

He was saying off though, not sleeping.

6. jlamb0 macrumors member

You're right; sorry. I'll have to test that tonight...

7. lacs21 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I mean powered off. I wonder if I can keep the clam shell open but keep the monitor off by putting a magnet near the lower left side? So the macbook thinks the screen is down, closed? This way I have access to the power button without having to open and closed the clam shell.

8. qdietz macrumors newbie

You might want to check out mp3car.com, they actually try to make macs auto turn on when the car starts up, they could offer good advice.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

USB does NOT get power from a Desktop when the machine is powered off.

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

So how exactly did I use my old Powermac G3 keyboard to power on my computer?

11. jlamb0 macrumors member

I checked this out, using my iPhone, and you all were right. When the computer is asleep, it will charge the iPhone, but not when it is shut down.

Another interesting thing I found, though: I could plug my iPod touch into my sleeping Macbook to charge it, as long as the Macbook was plugged into the AC. In order to charge my iPhone while the Mac is sleeping, it has to already be plugged in BEFORE the computer goes to sleep. If it's charging and I close the lid of the laptop, it continues to charge no problem (I checked the stand-by light to make sure the computer was actually asleep), but if I plug it in after the lid is closed, no power. Not sure why that changed from the iPod touch to the iPhone, but I thought it was kind of funny.

12. youssefm macrumors 6502

I clap my hands 3 times and my macbook usually just turns on right away =D
    Lol, im jk'ing obviously but those old desktop keyboards with the power buttons have me really confused now =/

13. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

PowerPC-based Macs as well as the old generation Macs provided power to the USB or ADB ports as long as the power cable was plugged in and switched on. When you hit power on the USB/ADB keyboard, it would trigger the boot call.

Intel Macs do not power their USB nor FireWire ports when off.