Alternative window switcher

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Walter Jr., Aug 10, 2014.

1. Walter Jr. macrumors newbie

I'm a new MacBook Pro user since a month and, well, so far I really like it.

My background is web developer with much Linux background. Funnily though, I've mostly/exclusively been using Windows as Desktop machines (albeit it usually was just my terminal gateway to various VMs/servers).

My biggest gripe with the default Window switcher: it only switches between applications and not windows. I know about CMD-` but I'm used to have a visual guide what exact windows are there (and a preview image of their content, etc.). As you can see, form this description, it's a typical Coming-From-Windows problem. I did already some research and tested various things and I understand that I've to do a few things The-Mac-Way but I'm not yet at the point of giving up.

The best software I've found so far is HyperSwitch ( http://bahoom.com/hyperswitch ). It works almost like I want it but on multi-screen setups it shows the Window-Switcher always on the active instead of the primary screen (I'm used to always automatically look at the primary screen when I hit CMD-Tab). I tried to contact the author on some other issue but I never received feedback.

In combination with Spectacle ( https://github.com/eczarny/spectacle ) I've an almost perfect mirroring of the Windows behavior which allows me to be very productive (e.g. using keys for maximizing windows or positioning them on the left/half of a screen).

Regarding the window switcher, it's important for me to have a visual feedback. Looking at some apple.stackexchange suggestions, there are a lot of tools but they all work in a way I don't want them. Some example question form there:
    - http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/9659/what-window-management-options-exist-for-os-x
    - http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...etween-all-open-windows-alternatives-to-witch

Let me describe which switching between windows and not applications is more important for me: my usually work flow is having one ore more PhpStorm IDEs, three to six iTerm2 windows and three Firefox windows open. That's a lot and it's absolutely my use case that I often need to jump to a specific window and not first select the application and then choose the window. And, as I said, CMD-` isn't enough because I need to "see and choose" the windows.

If maybe someone is reading this having a similar path and know about my troubles, maybe you've some suggestion of other apps which could help here? Money isn't the issue; would gladly pay for a Window switcher which is more like the Windows one.

2. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

It's called Mission Control

Try sliding 4 fingers on the trackpad from bottom to top

3. Walter Jr. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware of it and it's great for overview when I've really many windows open, but for me it doesn't replace a Window switcher to quickly use CMD-Tabbing or something similar.

It seems I can only select windows with cursor keys, "`" and TAB switch between application.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

I used to feel your pain, but no longer. I've gotten into using Spaces and keeping my most-used apps in a single space. I used to use Proteron's LiteSwitch but that preference pane isn't supported any longer - I really, really miss that app switcher on steroids. :sniff:

The app you need to check out is Witch by Many Tricks, and either Moom by that developer (both are on the Mac App Store, and both have been around for about a decade or so) and Spectacle - Witch is a must-have for those with a need for window management, and I personally prefer Spectacle over Moom. I've read about but don't use Flexiglass for moving windows around, it's also on the Mac App Store.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

That doesn't explain why Mission Control (four fingers up) and App Exposé (four fingers down) don't solve your problem.

6. Walter Jr. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not necessarily working with a touchpad.

The other thing is: using CMD-Tab gives, at least for me, a predictive order (most recently used). My brain cannot parse the Mission Control screen (too big) quickly to decide which Window I'd need.

I guess the problem I had with HyperSwitch not working properly on Multi-Screen was only temporarily. Now that I rebootet my system, it suddenly worked as expected (Window-Switcher popup only appears one primary screen).

Maybe HyperSwitch already solved all my troubles anyway.

thanks

7. chabig macrumors 68040

Really?

8. Walter Jr. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, mostly using a USB keyboard/bluetooth mouse and multiple external screens.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

Ok. Makes sense. I have a suggestion and I hope you are open to it--purchase and try a Magic Trackpad. OS X is really designed for a trackpad any more. Sure, a mouse works but it's no longer the optimum pointing device.

10. Walter Jr. thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest, the trackpad looks really interesting! I love the touchpad, I really enjoy using it and once I started memoizing all the movements it's great.

However, back to mission control: I've many many many windows spread on three screens (two externals and the pro itself). Mission control shows each window on each screen. That is, one my place, almost 1.25m (or around 39.3 inches) which I'd have to look at and find my window.

So far, HyperSwitch actually seems the best for me. I don't have the initial problem anymore (don't know what I did expect rebooting the machine).

Now if the window previews of it would update more often, I guess I'd call it perfect.

11. chabig macrumors 68040

Maybe you'll like Application Exposé. Four fingers down shows the windows of the current application. You can tab from app to app, or command-tab to a particular app.

12. Walter Jr. thread starter macrumors newbie

But it works no different than Mission Control to me: multiple windows of an app on multiple screens stay there. One great thing with CMD-Tab is that it shows all of them together (Apps, at least) and does not spread them.

However, I use Expose actually but not in a "quickly need to switch to other window" context.

thanks

13. illusionx macrumors 6502

With the combination of spaces (now called desktops), exposé and mission control, you really don't need 3 monitors unless you need to display real time data that you need to access simultaneously while working on another screen.

Maybe that will simplify your life?

14. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

From your external keyboard, have you tested this :

Ctrl + up arrow = Mission Control
    Ctrl + down arrow = Exposé
    Ctrl + right/left arrows = switching between spaces

Switching between the windows of the same app : Cmd + `

15. Walter Jr., Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

Walter Jr. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, for development purpose I need those screens; I'm running multiple browser, multiple VMs, multiple Terminals, multiple IDEs... it's A LOT (and the Pro is really doing great; I'm very happy with that)

16. illusionx macrumors 6502

Co-worker is doing pretty well with multiple desktops and switching between is a breeze.

Like I said, that won't work if you need to maintain visibility on all your windows at all time.

But then, if you do, I am not quite sure why you have troubles locating your window app.

Also, with terminals, consider using tabs.