Alternative (wired?) to Apple TV for iPad and Touch?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Maxinuk, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Maxinuk macrumors member

Hi all.

Sorry long intro!

I keep all my movies on iTunes including a load of home family videos. For my iPod Touch I have the brilliant old 30 pin official Apple component RGB cable (RGB + stereo phonos + USB) that for me anyway does a great job of outputting to our large screen LCD. My Mini has the Lightning connector of course and at present I have not shelled out for the specific Apple cable due to so many reported issues with it (quality/reliability etc).

But's it's a huge pain having to get up every few minutes to start the next short home video playing.

To cut a long story short I got the latest Apple TV last week but it really did not work out - buggy, slow, drop outs, constant buffering, crashes - hated it. It's gone back now.

I use home sharing on the iPad which works fine for the ripped films but not for the home videos which are HD and keep pausing/buffering.

Anyway, is there any way to have a wired connection to the iPad (Lightning) or iPod Touch (30 pin) that will extend the 4m or so required from the sofa to the TV.

I have found 30 pin 1m extension cables but I believe none of them are fully wired to give proper RGB with the older Apple Component AV cable.

Or is there an alternative to Apple TV for a wireless solution?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

sounds like it was probably poor wi-fi, might take a look at updating your router, or try a different channel. or go wired to the aTV.
    or possibly not burying the aTV in a cabinet full of electronics and metal.
    or you may have gotten a bad unit.

if you are going to extend, you'd be better off extending the video signal end.

3. Maxinuk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I guess you are right on the extension, would there be any signal loss issue with extending the phono leads for RGB?

Will be a right old jumble as there are 5 phonos incl stereo and then there is the USB for power.

With the ipad I would need to get the Apple official Lightning to HDMI and use a 5m HDMI cable! Again, is this likely to have signal loss issues?

4. Mrbobb, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

The tech savvy amongst us just optimize our WIFI and, look Ma no wires!

I've been WIFI mirroring HD to my big TV for a year now. No pause, no drop AND I don't use an expensive Airport router either, am using a Dlink 825 circa 2010, cost me $39 used.

5. Elbon macrumors 6502a

Elbon

How about Ethernet?

If you are going to run a wire, how about connecting your Apple TV via Ethernet instead of wi-fi? I have two hard-wired ATVs and four hard-wired Airports (one Extreme and three Express) and I have never had any problem sending video from a iOS device to any of these units.

[edit - obviously I'm not sending video to the Airports, just the Apple TV. But I can stream audio to them just fine.]

6. Maxinuk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I could run an ethernet cable from the ATV direct to the iTunes host laptop. However, going from the router to the laptop/ATV is not possible in our house at present. I am guessing any hardwiring would help?

7. Cinephi1e macrumors regular

At home I have wired Apple TV's so I have no problems. However, at work we often have to play content from iPads to projectors. If it is smaller files, such as slides or short videos, WiFi is not a problem. If it is a long HD video then wired is the way to go to avoid any hiccups. We use the Apple cable (either lightning or 30 pin to HDMI) with a long HDMI cable and it can handle anything you throw at it.

8. Maxinuk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Another option suggested to me is to use those powerpoint adaptors that convert the home 240v electrical cabling system into a data network...