Alternative wireless suggestions for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dkeninitz, Jul 20, 2008.

1. dkeninitz macrumors regular

I just bought a "refurb" Mac Pro 8-core dual 2.8ghz machine, thinking I'd add an Airport Extreme card when it arrived Friday. Well, I've come to discover the AE card is no longer user installable: you can't even buy a compatible AE card at the Apple website. They direct you to call their 800 number, or a store. I did that and found that the card isn't user-installable: they won't sell it without doing the installation as well. Needless to say I'm livid, since this means taking my machine to an Apple store, leaving it for at least a day, and forking over $149 for what ought to be a $50 card.

Anyone have suggestions as to the best 3rd party wireless cards? I'm thinking Linksys, as I've found those to be mostly bullet-proof in my Windows PC's (Apple is the company that seems to enjoy upsetting its users; I can't think of another major desktop manufacturer that makes you take your machine to a service depot to add a wireless card).

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

It is user installable just not what apple defines as easy. Remember this is apple if it involves more than one screw, than it is not user installable. :D

From what I have heard, and seen. Is that they will usually wave the install fee. Especially if you just got your pro with in the last few weeks or so.
    Just tell them how you feel. You just got the mac pro right?

3. dkeninitz thread starter macrumors regular

Just got it Friday, but the "Genius" at the Apple store was adamant that they won't/can't sell it without the installation, and said that any attempt to do a user install (assuming one can find the card somewhere) voids the warranty.

4. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i don't really know where you're getting your prices from, but mine cost $47 with installation.

and it only took about 20 minutes.

5. dkeninitz thread starter macrumors regular

Prices and times are from the Apple Store at Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, MD.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I walked into my Apple store and just told them I wanted to buy the AE card for a Mac Pro. The guy walked in the back and got one for me and asked if I wanted it installed. I said no that it was very easy to do and he agreed and rang up the sale. I would either go to another Apple store or go back when different people are working.

7. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

whoa..... they told you $150? somethin' ain't right.

seriously, mine cost under $50. maybe the post iphone deluge has 'em a little backed up right now or somthing so it'd take a little longer then it did here, but there's no way it should cost that much.

8. jalayu macrumors newbie

when I tried purchasing the card from an apple store, they denied me. I even tried going to 3 different stores and they all said the same thing to me, "It must be installed by a tech."

I ended up purchasing my card from macconnection.com

9. anthny680 macrumors member

The store I called wanted to do this. I just told them I was planning on taking it to another apple certified tech (non-apple store) closer to my house, who would get it done while I wait. After a little hesitation, they agreed to sell it to me. I would call in first and talk to someone so that they are expecting you.

10. dkeninitz thread starter macrumors regular

Same here - three different stores. The people at all three also emphasized that if I did manage to procure a card and install it myself, I'd void my warranty. I ended up just taking it in to the first store and leaving it for the day, what a rip-off.

11. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

did they charge you $150?

12. dkeninitz thread starter macrumors regular

$149.

13. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

wow, that sucks. sorry to hear that.

i wonder what the hell the deal is?:confused:

14. dkeninitz thread starter macrumors regular

It's like $47 for the card, roughly $100 for the installation. I have a great authorized Mac dealer - Absolute Mac - just a few miles from my house that said they do it for $100, but they didn't have the card in stock and thus would have had to order it. Considering that I ordered this thing three weeks ago and it took forever for Apple to ship it, and that I finally got it Friday expecting to be able to pop in the Airport card myself, I didn't feel like screwing around with it any longer. It's pretty much the kind of thing I've come to expect from Apple: I love Mac's, but I HATE Apple.