Alternatives for Handbrake

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by vidyadhar1972, May 19, 2009.

1. vidyadhar1972 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Has anyone found any alternative to Handbrake for Windows ?

What I have found is that Handbrake on Apple runs very fast, and the movie gets converted in 90 minutes or so.

But the same movie takes hours for Handbrake, when running on windows.

One reason might be cos the system takes time to first remove the content protection and then encode.

Is there a faster way of doing this?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you're using Handbrake converting a DVD from the actual DVD medium in your DVD drive, the read speed of the DVD drive slows down the whole process.

It would be better to first rip the DVD to your hard drive and then use Handbrake to convert the DVD (stored on your HDD) to whatever format you want.

When I used Windows years ago, I found DVD Decrypter to be a good DVD ripping software, it was free and could break almost all DVD decryptions.

There is also MPEG Streamclip, which can convert MPEG-2 DVD .vobs into almost any format you like, but you should always copy/rip the DVD content to your internal or external HDD.

3. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

On Windows... AnyDVD (HD for HD Rips) and meGUI, go to Doom9 and have a look around and learn about it :)

4. roidy macrumors 6502a

Well the first thing to look at is the difference between the Apple and Windows hardware your using. If the Apples cpu is more powerful then of course it`s going to convert quicker!

5. dynaflash macrumors 68020

There is no detectable difference in speed between hb on windows or hb on mac. As stated before you are running on different hardware which can make all of the difference.

6. vidyadhar1972 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I am copying right now. Let's see.

But I still found HB on Mac faster than on PC

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

May it be, that the Mac has better specs than the PC as some of the previous posters have said?

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

The only way to be sure is to run Windows on the Mac. Then you are running the same hardware on both systems.

9. lostime macrumors regular

the best DVD converter I have ever used is Cucusoft for windows. Converts a regular DL dvd in about 20-30 minutes at appletv resolutions on my MBP 2.4 with 4gb. It's $39 but worth it. I will buy it again when they release it for Mac.

10. Shiner macrumors 6502

I sometimes use badaboom for my windows desktop. If you have a CUDA ready graphics card than this might be a way to go if you desire speed. I only use the program for iphone/touch encodes. It is fast, real fast but it does suffer from quality issues on bigger screens. The blocking on dark black pictures is horrible. The technology is just not there yet to use CUDA. I still use slow, old reliable handbrake for all my 1080 and 720 encodes for my TV.

11. dynaflash macrumors 68020

You guys do realize that the settings in HB can be nerfed to get the same speed as badaboom and that mess from cucusoft ?

There is a good review somewhere of badaboom where they put it up against HB 0.9.3 iirc.

HB's presets are designed with quality in mind for the most part. Speed is considered as well but the feeling is that the user wants an encode close to the source.

12. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Dvd shrink is amazing for me. 1.6 ghz amd labtop is about 30 min from the original dvd.

13. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Indeed, I never quite understood the "encode fast" mentality. I'd rather use H.264 and need 4 hours of encoding to get quality results than MPEG-4 and 30 minutes to get a crappy result as fast as possible.

14. dlegend macrumors 6502

so .h264 is better than mpeg4? speaking in terms of quality not file size.

15. kolax macrumors G3

Similar quality (if not slightly better) but can pack in more detail at a lower bit rate so you ultimately end up with a smaller file size.

16. MacStew macrumors member

How rude! Quality encodes take a long time. Crappy encodes don't. Be grateful that the best transcoder on the market is free! Some people...