Alternatives for Jailbreaking 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NttDocomo, Feb 23, 2011.

1. NttDocomo macrumors member

Hi is Greenpois0n the only option for untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak using Windows? Does redsn0w or PwnageTool has a version out for Windows? I checked the iphone dev team page and it seems all available are for mac users.

So if Greenpois0n the only option for Windows, how is it compared to the Dev Team's PwnageTool? Is there any downfall? Thanks very much for all the help. :)

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Greenpois0n is an option if you're happy with your current carrier and don't require a soft unlock. There's always the option to use Snowbreeze to build yr own Custom IPSW but I would only recommend this tool if you a) don't have friends with OS X b) can make friends with someone running OS X or c) can't hook up w/ a girl running OS X or d) don't trust Custom IPSW's you find online

No downfall, all tools use the same exploit.

3. NttDocomo thread starter macrumors member

thanks WhatAmI for your help. I use AT&T but do bring my phone away aboard to use other carriers? So does it mean that I can't use Greenpois0n to untether JB my iPhone 4? If I would like to preserve my baseband and ultrasn0w unlock, should I just wait for the Dev team to come out with the Window version of PwnageTool?

Thanks again for all the help! :)

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can still preserve your bb without pwnage, but you have to use your blobs and Tiny Umbrella. You'd be able to use greenpoison after doing an update via TU.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. NttDocomo thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone for all the help. I followed the instructions and was able to upgrade to 4.2.1 while preserving my baseband. I now on 4.2.1 with untethered jailbreak and the phone is unlocked (haven't yet tested using other carrier) and everyone is working fine.

This is awesome, thanks again for all the help. This is such great forum and will keep spreading the good words ;)

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced