Alternatives to Airport Express Extreme... ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Poseidon, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

So all these threads about the problems folks are having with Airport Express Extreme has me more then a bit worried, especially since I was planning on buying an AEBS with my new iMac.

Anyone have suggestions for an alternative to AEBS for wireless needs? I should mention I'll be running mostly just my Mac and maybe an old PC off of the network, so it doesn't have to be anything fancy or a heavy workload.

Thanks!

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

First of all, the Airport Extreme and Airport Express are different products. I'll assume you're talking about the Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS).

I haven't heard of an overwhelming amount of problems with this unit. Keep in mind that in general only people with complaints will voice their opinions online, so it might seem as if "almost everyone" is having problems when in reality it is a very reliable product.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

There is one problem that is consistent with the AEBS. When using AirDisk off a USB hub, large file transfers often fail. This can be minimised, apparently, by using a powered hub. Firmware 7.2.1 (the latest) seems to cause random disk disconnects as well. Don't know if they are related.

The D-Link 655 looks like a good alternative. I got the AEBS because I wanted the 5GHz mode, which I finally got working in XP. :rolleyes: