Alternatives to Airport Extreme Card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by guyinrubbersuit, Feb 15, 2009.

1. guyinrubbersuit macrumors newbie

Are there any alternatives to the Airport Extreme card to connect wirelessly? I have a Power Mac G5 (I believe it's a dual 2.5) and I know it has a few PCI slots but according to the guide book it is leading me to believe that I can only use the Airport Extreme card. I'm pretty sure that's a load of bull and just a way for Apple to get more money.

This thread had a couple of suggestions though I'm curious if there are any other cards I should keep an eye out and if there might be any problems encountered with them. Do I have to buy a specific card that is Mac compatible or as long as it's PCI it'll work?

Also the antenna that came with the Mac, is that the only thing out there or is there something better that I can get?

I know the issue with my wireless internet lays with my Mac and not the router as my PC laptop and my brother's Macbook can connect just fine, even in the same room. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

uh...

Yeah, Apple is engaged in some conspiracy to get people to buy APex cards.

There are USB options, but original APex cards have the best range and stability by a long shot.