Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
I just lost my 87W USB-C charger, are there any alternatives to Apple's charger or is the original charger the only one out there that can do the job?

I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a hub that can full charge the MBP as I am also running out of USB-C ports.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
There are probably third party chargers,but many of those are either more expensive than the original,or,if cheaper,usually hazardous to connect.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I don't know of any other usb-c chargers that do 87w, let alone safely and in the small footprint of the Apple charger. You can get full docking stations that include a powerful charging brick but you'll still need a portable charger. Most of the smaller chargers top out at ~45-60W.

english_mac_in_ny

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
There are Thunderbolt 3 docks from Elgato, Belkin and others and a few of them charge your Mac at the speed of the original charger through that one cable you use for connecting the dock with the Mac. I can recommend the Elgato one.

However, for USB-C chargers I can only recommend Apple (although Google does have a good charger too, for their chromebook), they are really the best ones out there. Safe to use both for you and your devices (there are chargers out there that can burn down your laptop and your house...), and pretty compact too. You don't want to save a few bucks and get one from some random manufacturer.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Well I've got a 3rd party USB C power supply coming either today or Monday. That's all they are, power supplies, the charging circuitry is inside the laptop itself. Power supplies have been manufactured safely for decades, so I don't think Apple has the market cornered on reliable/safe power supplies.

That said, you certainly can increase the risk of getting a "bad" unit, especially if it's from an off the wall brand but it isn't something I personally worry about. I don't keep my MacBook plugged in for any extended periods of time. I like to use the battery and let it cycle. I've found doing that and keeping it away from extreme heat (like inside a car on a hot day) will go a long way to preserving battery health. My 2010 MBA still holds a good charge.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Well I've got a 3rd party USB C power supply coming either today or Monday. That's all they are, power supplies, the charging circuitry is inside the laptop itself. Power supplies have been manufactured safely for decades, so I don't think Apple has the market cornered on reliable/safe power supplies.

There are definitely reports of usb-c power supplies damaging hardware. https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/e91WpjRFizs

english_mac_in_ny

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
There have been multiple bad usb-c power supplies in the last two years - multiple! Unless you have the electrical engineering background and you take the time to test it, you can end up burning your house down. It's really not necessary considering how well-made the Apple chargers are. Although I admit they only have a single port, that is indeed a drawback.

Power supplies lead to fires and often enough cause electric shock, they have indeed not been safely manfucatured for decades.

But you can get one from Google, and they are okay too.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
There are definitely reports of usb-c power supplies damaging hardware. https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/e91WpjRFizs

I never said otherwise, you can find cases of faulty hardware with just about anything if you really want to, including Apple. A couple fringe cases doesn't mean anything.
[doublepost=1503253797][/doublepost]
There have been multiple bad usb-c power supplies in the last two years - multiple! Unless you have the electrical engineering background and you take the time to test it, you can end up burning your house down. It's really not necessary considering how well-made the Apple chargers are. Although I admit they only have a single port, that is indeed a drawback.

Power supplies lead to fires and often enough cause electric shock, they have indeed not been safely manfucatured for decades.

But you can get one from Google, and they are okay too.

Really? So how long have power supplies been safe? Every electronic device has a power supply of some sort so in your opinion, when did they become safe? Most power supplies have the high voltage and low voltage side isolated from one another, they have over voltage protection, over current protection, over load protection, the higher quality ones will throw in thermal protection as well. These protection circuitries have been around for years. What in your opinion makes a power supply safe?

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I never said otherwise, you can find cases of faulty hardware with just about anything if you really want to, including Apple. A couple fringe cases doesn't mean anything.
[doublepost=1503253797][/doublepost]

I would not consider these fringe cases. With previous power supply options, the issue has typically been cheap components that *might* cause damage but usually won't. In the case of these usb-c supplies, there have been a fairly large number that have designs such that they *will* damage certain hardware. Big difference.

Reactions: HenryDJP

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
That's all they are, power supplies, the charging circuitry is inside the laptop itself. Power supplies have been manufactured safely for decades, so I don't think Apple has the market cornered on reliable/safe power supplies.

Good for you dude. Hope you and your house are insured - taking into account how many crap is out there, pretending to be a legit Apple OEM. There are no rules with Chinese knock-offs -- GOOD LUCK!

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/10/...rgers-unless-you-want-your-iphone-to-explode/

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2016/10/20/apple-knockoff-amazon/#.tnw_pPWuFY2P

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Good for you dude. Hope you and your house are insured - taking into account how many crap is out there, pretending to be a legit Apple OEM. There are no rules with Chinese knock-offs -- GOOD LUCK!

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/10/...rgers-unless-you-want-your-iphone-to-explode/

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2016/10/20/apple-knockoff-amazon/#.tnw_pPWuFY2P

THANKS! Love the good luck in caps, you sound like a rental car sales clerk trying to evoke the fear of god into your soul by making you sign wavers for not buying their insurance coverage lol.

Reactions: lobo1978

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
you sound like a rental car sales clerk trying to evoke the fear of god

It was an honest warning. I am not so naive (or lemming) as you might think. When you actually lost some expensive hardware (like I did) for being cheap/smart with electrical/charging appliances -- you try to warn others. But it is your money.

Let us know how this is working and how build quality compares to the original USB-C Apple charger. Can you put a photo or paste link to store selling it?

As there are no rules with Chinese knock-offs it is difficult to find good ones. I am using apple watch "replacement" bands and out of 3 bought only one was really bad (nike).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.