Alternatives to beds?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Feb 24, 2008.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

So my piece of garbage Ikea bed just broke(the main support beam snapped in two, after it had already broken in a couple of other places) so for the time being I'm doing the mattress on the floor thing.

I am looking into a new bed, but I wonder if anyone has any good suggestions on alternatives to beds? I used a Japanese futon for 6 months while I was living there, but would have no idea how I could get one shipped to me in Germany.

Is there anyone else that that doesn't have a proper "bed" per se? What do you use and how do you like it?

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I used an inflatable mattress for a few months and it was great. It was very comfortable and was easy to pack away during the day if I wanted some more space.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why not just get a cheap metal bed frame that comes free with a mattress?

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm not sure how a japanise futon differs from a $100 Wal*Mart one, but I know you can buy a futon at Wal*Mart for $100.. I was thinking about doing that actually, but I never got around to it.

5. foidulus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like to be very mobile, ie I can move across the world at the drop of a hat. However, I lack a drivers license(surprising for someone who wants to be so mobile) and my friend with a van was recently killed, so even if I had it delivered, I might have trouble getting rid of it....

Plus, I've done the whole "bed scene"(sounds so much seedier than it is;) ) and would like to try something new.

6. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

7. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i agree with this one-- have used an inflatable mattress many a time when traveling with friends and there are not enough beds-- very very comfy surprisingly!

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Hammock

If I could sleep in a hammock every night I would, those things are so freaking comfy...

9. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

For about 4 months I slept on a regular old mattress on the floor. It wasn't that bad. I actually kind of liked it.

10. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

11. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

My brother has a futon-style bed (Ikea, mind you). I don't think it's been great on his back.

12. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I have a big bed, but I never sleep in it unless my girlfriend is over because I greatly prefer sleeping on my couch! It is soooooo comfortable *IF* you do it the way I do it, and have a couch that is good for this type of position. You need to have an end table right besides the couch's arm for this to work. Lay down on the couch with your legs up over the sidearm of the couch so that the back of your knee is nestled around the sidearm and your calfs resting down on the end table.

If you have the correct couch for this, it's the most comfortable sleeping arrangement that I've ever come across!

EDIT: And oh yeah, if you ever intend to have a woman over for some lovin, then having a real bed is extremely helpful.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Isn't that what kitchens are for?

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

...um, caffeine?

I have a futon with one of those cotton mattresses - it's very comfortable and can be folded up during the day to save space or make a couch thingie for having friends over.

If you have small space for living, find something that (within reason) serves as many purposes as possible. Otherwise, go for a king-size Tempur-pedic :)

15. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

What do you do when you want to turn over?

Inflatable beds are okay, but the one I had smelt rubbery, it had a built-in pillow in the form of a low bump at one end which annoyed me because I like to put my arm under the pillow, and it could be a bit cold sometimes. Your body doesn't warm the air in the same way it warms a mattress and you might have to put a blanket under the bottom sheet.

I think futons are a good idea, but I'd invest in the best mattress for it that I could.

16. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

:eek: Man, you just can't count on some friends these days...

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Surely they sell futons in Germany? :confused:
    Here for a start.
    You can get them all over the world these days. No need to ship one in especially.
    That is, if you are interested in another futon.

18. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

You don't happen to be a paid assassin?

19. jng macrumors 65816

jng

ROFL

The main beam is made of metal. How the hell did you break that? unless it's the lattenroste, you're talking about. The ones that IKEA sells are usually crap. Buy some good ones from somewhere else.

The lattenroste actually are good for supporting your back. I know people who just sleep on a mattress on a lattenrost on the floor. Or you can fashion a quick bed by propping it up on some plastic beer crates using plastic ties and duct tape. Works actually well if you don't like sleeping on the floor.

20. foidulus thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was a wooden model, not a metal one. The wood beam snapped in two, plus the stupid thing was a slat bed and the slats would never, ever stay in place.

21. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

This is a solution that lets you re-do your room and solve your bed problem at the same time! This is how I sleep:

Buy a shag rug (REALLY shaggy)
    spread a sheet/blanket over it
    put your pillow down...
    *zzz...*

22. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I meant the metal support beam in the middle that's under the wooden slats.

Sounds like you bought the cheap slats. Germany actually has a wider selection of slats and the better ones fit the frames better and get ones with rubbered ends so that they don't make noise and move around. Matratze Concorde has some. I think the German IKEA selection is also larger than the US one.