General alternatives to bitesms?

naixed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
bitesms is a wonderful app that allows your to access your sms from any screen.

Only downer for me is that it's crashing and takes my phone into safe mode.
I have researched and came across a thread where you delete a few items using ifile. Even after doing this, same thing happens.

Are there any other sms apps comparable to bitesms?

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
Is this the newest version? Did you buy it?
I know people were having issues with the
cracked version but I am running the paid
version with no problems at all.

Also make sure you've updated your other
apps in cydia. I know there was also a mobile
substrate update that fixed some issues.

Comment

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
Messages+ has worked great for me so far, and if having the option to quick-reply and quick-compose from any screen are the main features that you want from BiteSMS, then I'd say going with Messages+ or even IntelliscreenX (that comes with Messages+) for $2 more would be a great investment.

Comment

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Messages+ has worked great for me so far, and if having the option to quick-reply and quick-compose from any screen are the main features that you want from BiteSMS, then I'd say going with Messages+ or even IntelliscreenX (that comes with Messages+) for $2 more would be a great investment.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but BiteSMS has QC and QR integrated.

Comment

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK
biteSMS works great for me, try installing the beta like someone else said, the repo is cydia.bitesms.com

Comment

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Message+ and INtelliscreenX (which comes with message+) will do it for you.

However,.,BiteSMS works perfectly. You either got the wrong version, or have some issues with your license, I would contact the developer, send him your order number or receipt when you bought the app and let them figure it out. ;)

Comment

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
Sorry to rehash old thread

I truly WANT and NEED an alternative to biteSMS,

1) causing major conflicts with SBrotator6 when switching from portrait to landscape with qr/qc window open.

2) the lack of looking like the stock ios really bothers me.

Tried messages+ and when rotated to landscape, the keyboard would rotate properly, but the text input area would be upside down ...

HandcentSMS has the same GUI problem as BiteSMS.

SMS+ isn't updated for ios6

Any ideas for a good quick reply or quick compose aps?

Comment

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I truly WANT and NEED an alternative to biteSMS,

1) causing major conflicts with SBrotator6 when switching from portrait to landscape with qr/qc window open.

2) the lack of looking like the stock ios really bothers me.

Tried messages+ and when rotated to landscape, the keyboard would rotate properly, but the text input area would be upside down ...

HandcentSMS has the same GUI problem as BiteSMS.

SMS+ isn't updated for ios6

Any ideas for a good quick reply or quick compose aps?
I am sure you can use the BiteSMS QR feature with the stock SMS app. That should solve some of the problem.

Comment

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
How so?

I am sure you can use the BiteSMS QR feature with the stock SMS app. That should solve some of the problem.
1) causing major conflicts with SBrotator6 when switching from portrait to landscape with qr/qc window open. ........

My whole home screen locks up and I cannot slide or click icons?

I don't really understand how it relates, I know I can do what you said though
:confused:

Comment

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
1) causing major conflicts with SBrotator6 when switching from portrait to landscape with qr/qc window open. ........

My whole home screen locks up and I cannot slide or click icons?

I don't really understand how it relates, I know I can do what you said though
:confused:
If you are already on landscape and then open it up then, does it still lock up?

If you "lock" it to landscape mode does it still lock up?

Comment

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
If you are already on landscape and then open it up then, does it still lock up?

If you "lock" it to landscape mode does it still lock up?
If I am ALREADY in landscape the issue NEVER happens, only if I switch from portrait to landscape, which happens to be a VERY natural motion in using the phone with one hand. then deciding to respond I will switch to two hands to type more easily, and BOOM after I hit reply, I go to home screen and no scrolling pages or opening new apps. THOUGH activator gestures and zephyr gestures, as well as clicking icons in the switcher works! Odd

And by "lock it" do you mean orientation to landscape, or bitesms qr/qc to landscape?

Comment

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
If I am ALREADY in landscape the issue NEVER happens, only if I switch from portrait to landscape, which happens to be a VERY natural motion in using the phone with one hand. then deciding to respond I will switch to two hands to type more easily, and BOOM after I hit reply, I go to home screen and no scrolling pages or opening new apps. THOUGH activator gestures and zephyr gestures, as well as clicking icons in the switcher works! Odd
In the BiteSMS settings, you can lock their orientation.

Have you tried locking it to landscape and seeing if it still occurs?

I doubt you'll find an alternative other then the ones you've tried...BiteSMS is so good that no one really develops good sms tweaks.

Comment

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
In the BiteSMS settings, you can lock their orientation.

Have you tried locking it to landscape and seeing if it still occurs?

I doubt you'll find an alternative other then the ones you've tried...BiteSMS is so good that no one really develops good sms tweaks.
I will try this out with BiteSMS lock

Messages+ is quite good with the exception of the bug that happens when it is rotated to landscape with SBrotator and the text input area turns 1/4 turn too much :(

Comment

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I will try this out with BiteSMS lock

Messages+ is quite good with the exception of the bug that happens when it is rotated to landscape with SBrotator and the text input area turns 1/4 turn too much :(
It's just a thought so if it doesn't work i'm out of ideas for you

Comment

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks for the help, I don't understand why this is sooo hard!

I've emailed all the devs of these apps but have only received a response from bitesms
It probably effects so few people that it's not worth their time to look into, find the issue, figure out how to solve it, and then actually solve it when there are other issues/upgrades to do

Comment

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
It probably effects so few people that it's not worth their time to look into, find the issue, figure out how to solve it, and then actually solve it when there are other issues/upgrades to do
I've thought about that as well but it seems like such a naive way to provide fixes for apps/tweaks

But I get the idea, but I pray otherwise..

Is rotating the home screen and having quick compose of texts really that rare of a request of ideas?

Wooooo I'm original :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.