Alternatives to Bread?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Aug 24, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Guys,

For the past few months i;ve been on a recent nutritional venture.

I've successfully migrated from white bread (Which, God I loved) to whole grain wheat bread. The situation at hand however, is that i'll most likely on average tend to have anywhere from 2-4 slices of wheat bread a day...depending on the day.

I'm now wanting to move to something totally different to replace my sandwiches. I've seen online that corn tortillas can be an alternative, as opposed to flour (even whole wheat flour) which tend to (usually) have twice the amount of calories of corn tortillas.

I've successfully migrated from processed lean meats such as ham and bologna to soy burgers or lean turkey ground beef. Though I'll only focus this thread on the bread aspect, I'm also wanting to migrate away from sodium, of which i've noticed has skyrocketed in my diet after going mainly veggie.....(soy burgers tend to contain almost a full days worth of sodium...i guess the flavors gotta come from somewhere)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Cereal? I love the sugary kind in a bowl of Starbuck's bottled frappuccino, but you're probably wanting something healthy. Soooo, Wheaties? Corn Flacks? Raisin Bran? Grape Nuts? Second thought, don't eat Grape Nuts. It looks just like chicken food, no doubt it tastes like it too.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Well, i've too already moved on from Fruity Pebbles & Frosted Flakes to a Multi-Grain Bran Flakes cereal, which is currently the only cereal in my kitchen, considering i'll only have cereal like twice a week.

I'm more looking for an alternative to bread in terms of something that can hold a veggie or turkey patty. Something to hold my romaine lettuce and soy cheese and mustard. Naturally, the first thing that comes to mind is a wrap...though upon researching discovered the flour vs. corn tortilla debates. I guess corn wins it for now. :p

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Fried chicken pieces? :p

[​IMG]

In all seriousness why eliminate something completely? Everything in moderation is a good phrase...

5. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I *love* corn tortillas. They're super cheap, and totally delicious practically every way you eat them. I'm picky with what bread I eat, so unless I have time to bake my own, I opt for tortillas instead.

Personally, I'd have quesadillas as a side to other things, and just use 2% cheese so it isn't too fatty. Add beans, and voila, you have a nutritious and balanced meal that's super fast to make.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why don't you just use large lettuce leaves as your wrap? :confused:

People already do this, although it's usually not for cold meats. Shredded/torn up warm chicken, turkey, or even something like lamb (like a lamb kebab!) would work.

You can have beef burger meat in between lettuce leaves, and I'm sure a lentil burger would work, too.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Tortillas, whole wheat variety when you really feel the need for bread and then as suggested, lettuce. Lettuce wraps are amazing, fill them with ground turkey, tomatoes, a dash of hot sauce or something like that and you have an easy meal. I've also done it with cold meats, a slice of pepper jack cheese and some mustard, it makes for a refreshing sandwich.
    Two slices of whole grain bread a day is not bad.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

^^ Agreed.

Why not just eat some bread whenever necessary? When not, try an alternative, such as tortillas, and even as Abstract suggested, lettuce?

9. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

As long as the bread is made with whole wheat flour and not enriched stuff why are you worried about the calories? As long as you're between 1500 and 2500 depending on your exercise they won't hurt you. Whole wheat is good for you. I would just watch out because lots of whole wheat bread in the supermarket is still made with enriched flour, making it not much better than plain old white bread.

If you want to cut out sodium, get out of the freezer aisle. Problem solved. Sodium is a preservative. The more you cook for yourself, the less sodium you'll take in, generally speaking. Think of your favorite recipes then google how to make them. You might be surprised at how easy some are. Plus, when you know how to make them you'll know how to tweak your favorite parts to make them even better tasting for you as well.

10. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Whole wheat pita bread... still bread, but thinner so you'll feel like you're cutting down some.

Lettuce leaves work well, too... a little messier, though. Jimmy John's will actually make all of their normal sandwiches with lettuce instead of the bread.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Serious? I mean, their bread is delicious but I'd be interested in this myself. I could stand to lose a ton or two.

12. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Yep, just ask for your sandwich as an "Un-wich"... my wife and I have done that for awhile now. I didn't even miss the bread after like the first bite. :)

#9 un-wich with hot peppers... I think I know what I'm having for lunch now.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really that sounds amazing. All the greatness with half the guilt. :D

14. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I'd just like to say that corn tortillas are nasty, IMO.

But I wouldn't think a sandwich/day would be bad for you...
    Grape Nuts are decent. If you microwave them and add vanilla or something they're not as awful as they are plain.