Alternatives to Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ipedro, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'm going to begin shopping for a display and thought I'd ask my friends here at MacRumors for their opinion.

I've been an Apple fan for a very long time but I just can't justify $1000 for a display when the same display components are supplied by another manufacturer who likely sells it for much cheaper in a different enclosure.

I recall that in the past, Apple displays used LG and ViewSonic. Is this still the case?

I'm a photographer so I need excellent colour and contrast fidelity. Which displays should I be looking at?

2. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

Apple sources their panels from other companies, but they definitely cherry pick them. If you need accuracy, I don't think you'll find a better display cheaper.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The 27" ACD uses an LG panel, and it is available in the U2711H from Dell - but you'll be suprised to know that the Dell isn't exactly cheap either.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

As probably discussed a hundred times before:

Dell u2711
    Fujitsu P26T-6
    Samsung PA850 (not released yet)
    NEC PA271W
    Eizo SX2762W

That are the alternatives you've got. Price tag of all those displays is approximately $1000, the latter ones even more. However, if you're a professional photographer, both the NEC and the Eizo will suit your needs best.
    The Samsung might be another wise choice as it covers 100% sRGB, but again, it isn't released yet.

5. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Thanks for the tips so far guys. I'm just beginning my shopping. If the same display panel in the Dell is still expensive, how much is the Apple premium on their display anyway? I might be willing to pay the premium if it's not too much more over other comparable displays.

Also, when were Apple's displays last updated? I can wait a few months if something new is due to come out soon.

6. toxic macrumors 68000

they do not use the same panel. the U2711 is wide-gamut, the Cinema is not. the only other monitor that shares the 27" ACD panel is the Hazro HZ27Wa, which is EU-only, as far as I can tell.

if you want a high-quality display at a decent price, look at the 23-24" form factor.
    Viewsonic VP2365wb
    NEC EA231WMi
    Dell U2311
    Dell U2410
    HP ZR24w
    HP LP2475w
    NEC PA2410

7. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

actually, if you need accuracy, I wouldn't be considering Apple. The Apples are limited in adjustability and profiling. You won't compare the colour of these to an NEC or Eizo.

NEC and Eizo monitors for accuracy.
    Eizo is more expensive but NEC is as capable and in some areas more.
    Dell for good monitors but leaning more on the budget side.

NEC monitors are a good choice. The 2690 and 3090 both cover 98% of Adobe 98 Colour space and can be used with the Spectraview profiling system if you want super accurate colour. They have their own internal lookup table and don't rely on the computers graphics card for their colour.

The PA series NEC monitors are exceptional too but cost a bit a bit more.

The Apples are pretty but I would never consider one if you want accuracy. I have two 3090's and highly recommend them. I know of colour experts who have moved to the PA series though and say they are better. I will do the same eventually.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The NEC EA231WMI is an EXCELLENT E-IPS panel. I love it to death and it only cost me $270!

9. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

^ That display looks great! I'm not a fan of the base but I'm not going to use it anyway. I'm putting it on a swivelling arm. I like how the bezel is very low profile. This might be the one :D

10. hitek79 macrumors member

Are you looking at a single monitor set up, or do you have room to 2 monitors? Dell has a sale on the u2410 right now for $449. You could have dual 24's for less than a single 27" The Dell monitors are awesome. I have an older u2408 and it holds calibration really well. I was strongly considering the Dell 27", but now I'm thinking I'll go with 2 24's and a 3 monitor set up :)

11. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Thanks, I had a look at the Dell displays. Can a MacBookPro power 2 displays? If so, how will I connect the 2 using a single DisplayPort? Also, I noticed that the Dell displays allow for portrait mode. That would be quite useful for editing portrait photos. Will it work on a Mac?

12. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

I was in the same boat you are in a bit ago, although admittedly with somewhat less demanding requirements. I ended up going with one of the smaller Dell Ultrasharp displays - the jump to 27 inches carries with it a pretty steep price.

13. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

It can only power one over DisplayPort, but you can buy USB display adapters.

All monitors can be rotated in OS X (within the Display part of System Preferences), it just helps if the monitor has a swivel stand.