Alternatives to Coversutra?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Takuro, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

I know this is going to be a very specific request, but I am looking for an app that allows you to invoke a search of your iTunes library in one keyboard shortcut, allowing you to switch songs without actually activating the iTunes player window. Coversutra did an excellent job of this, as you can see below. The developer actually stopped working on all her products a few years ago when she made a transition to work for Apple.

[​IMG]
    Does anybody know of an app that allows this same general functionality? It's incredibly useful, but Coversutra now crashes with the latest version of iTunes. Kind of sad about it, but its been a very long time since this software was updated.

Again, quick and easy lookup of songs is key. I don't want to poke around through a long list of results in Spotlight, and Coversutra did a way better job of actually finding valid matches based on song title, album, and artist. Spotlight pulls a lot of weird or incomplete results sometimes in my experience, mixed with other file types. I just want music.

Thanks

2. neeklamy macrumors newbie

How about a general purpose launcher? These all let you search through and control your iTunes library, and would come with a load of other benefits besides.

There’s a handful to choose from, Alfred (you would need to purchase the Alfred Powerpack), LaunchBar, or even Quicksilver. There’s a newer launcher too, Lacona, which looks very nice.

3. Takuro thread starter macrumors 6502

Takuro

I'd prefer something dedicated for music that can list results by artist and album in the UI like Coversutra had. I just tried playing with Quicksilver's iTunes plugin for a few hours before giving up. When I search for an artist, I am getting a mix of either albums or individual songs by the artist organized in a way that has no real rhyme or reason. For example, say I had 18 songs for an artist across 3 albums. The results would be maybe 1 album, then 2 songs, then another album, then 3 songs interleaved in the results. And that's it. I think I'd have to adjust my search settings to have a ridiculously high max number of results, which is going to ruin Quicksilver's practicality for app launching — the main function I use it for. :/

4. Takuro thread starter macrumors 6502

Takuro

Just as an update: With the latest iTunes in macOS 10.12 Sierra, Coversutra is suddenly working just fine again without any crashes or lags. Since the developer now works for the same company as the those developing iTunes, I wonder if she had any internal leverage with this. ;P

5. karnashuk macrumors newbie

karnashuk

HI TAKURO!

I've just searched the web, coz i was also look for an app that might be an alternative, and I found it! It is called TunesArt - it's available in the Mac App Store. I especially logged in here to help you. Cheers, Karnashuk