Alternatives to Disk Utility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 1madman1, Jan 2, 2019.

1. 1madman1 macrumors regular

Anyone know of a Mojave compatible alternative to the broken and completely useless pile of garbage that is Disk Utility? I'm tired of having to hook up a Windows or Linux system whenever I need to repartition (or even just reformat in some cases) a drive.

2. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

There aren’t many alternatives. I use the partitioning tools in Windows via Parallels. Sometimes disk utility won’t even format partitions properly to get back default storage space because it can’t “see” them, which is frustrating. If you don’t want to go through all that trouble, I’ve had some success with Paragon Disk Manager: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-mac/

3. HenryAZ macrumors 6502a

HenryAZ

If you're willing to wade into Terminal, diskutil is an excellent alternative.

4. chabig, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019

chabig macrumors 601

What are you trying to do that Disk Utility can’t do? It does everything necessary to manage Mac disks, including formatting and partitioning. Instead of trashing it, let us help you.

5. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I agree that Disk Utility can certainly be a pain in the ass at times, and youre not the only one that sometimes just bite the bullet and uses Windows to clean drives!

If you're willing to pay for it DiskWarrior is the one.
    If you dont want to spend ay money, then use diskutil which is available in Terminal and heres some instructions on how to use it:
    http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/disk-management-from-the-command-line-part-1
    http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/disk-management-from-the-command-line-part-2

Do be extremely careful and never rush it when formatting using the Terminal, it is incredibly easy to type one letter or number wrong and erase things you dont want to erase. I've seen it far too many times in my career and would be irresponsible of me not give you that disclaimer!

6. 1madman1 thread starter macrumors regular

My most recent two issues were:

Disk Utility refused to let me do anything to the partition table on an externally attached hard drive - partition option was just greyed out so you could do literally nothing. I needed to change it from MBR with 2 partitions to a single with GPT.

Second was attempting to reformat a FAT12 (not a typo, was emulating a floppy) formatted flash drive, Disk Utility refused to touch it in any way, partition option was greyed out, everything else just spat out an error stating that it "failed".

Both were solved in about 10 seconds using diskpart from the Windows command line - after spending 7 minutes digging the Windows system out of it's cubby, plugging it in, and booting it up.

I bought Diskwarror years ago, back in the late Powermac era. I ran into some kind of an issue with it after a year that had me ditch it. Disk Utility was far less horrible back then so there was less need for it anyway.

I have used the diskutil terminal command before, last time being when Fusion debuted I tried making a hybrid RAID 0 + Fusion startup drive (it worked!). It keeps slipping my mind, I'll need to give it a go.

I also just recalled I have Acronis Disk Director 12 which I think is a bootable disk. I'm not sure if it's new enough to work with GPT, but if it is it could be an option.

7. chabig macrumors 601

I think Apple changed the default view in the left column. It no longer shows devices (drives) by default, only volumes. You need to see the device itself to partition it, but the UI is confusing when the Partition option is grayed out. Go to the View Menu and select Show Drives. Then you can partition anything.

8. getrealbro macrumors regular

For those who may not be aware of it…the Disk Utility App is Apple’s GUI front end for the diskutil command in the terminal. Apple keeps fiddling with this GUI. As chabig says, the most recent changes make tasks like partitioning more obscure but still possible.

GetRealBro

9. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I'll echo that of @Spoon! and the choice of Paragon Hard Disk Manager for Mac. It's been a good utility for me when fiddling around with Windows partitions on my current setup. I don't use BootCamp Assistant. I create and format the NTFS partition using Paragon's Hard Disk Manager needed for the Windows 10 installation then uses the 'diskpart' utility as a double check and insurance before actually installing Windows 10 onto hardware. BootCamp Assistant and I have a bone to pick with each other.

I can only recommend Paragon's app for the purpose of replacing functions that are present in Disk Utility. There's a trial download available that is fully functional for some 7 days or there abouts. The user might have to reboot once after installation of said app.

10. HenryAZ macrumors 6502a

HenryAZ

I keep several small shell scripts to use diskutil for my most common needs. This one is for partitioning a new disk with one partition. The diskID is starred out (to force me to get the correct one) and the NAME must be changed to whatever you want the disk to be named. And of course uncomment the command line and save before running it. That way I don't use it accidentally. I call it:
    Part-NewDisk-OnePartition-GetDeviceIDFirst

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # /usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk** 1 GPT jhfs+ NAME 100%
    /usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/diskutil list

And having these shell script all ready, I don't have to consult the man pages for diskutil every time.