Alternatives to Entourage project view

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajpprc, Jan 21, 2009.

1. ajpprc macrumors member

My wife's been working with Entourage for the past several months as she likes having all of her PIM data integrated in one place. In particular she likes the project view as this lets her see all of the relevant files, emails, notes, tasks and calendar appointments for a specific class (she's in grad school) in one place.

Unfortunately she also wants to sync that information to her phone (a Nokia N82), and Entourage does not play nice with sync services. Every time we've tried setting up Entourage to sync with iCal so she can then sync with her phone we've run into a host of problems, including losing all of her calendar appointments and getting a massive number of duplicates.

As such I'm looking for an alternative to Entourage that duplicates the Project view features. The most important items for my wife are email, notes, files and calendar, she wants to be able to go to one place and look at all those items for individual classes. I've looked at Contactizer and Daylight, but both are a bit pricey, complicated and don't cover everything she wants, in particular they seem to lack the ability to look into the contents of a defined folder and track the files in there as Entourage can.

Any suggestions?

2. ajpprc thread starter macrumors member

Oh, and obviously it needs to play nice with sync services so she can synchronize her phone with it.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Which version of Entourage are you using? There's a lot of improvements to Entourage 2008's support of Sync Services, and we've made some additional incremental improvements in the service packs (currently at 12.1.5).

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. ajpprc thread starter macrumors member

We're using the latest version and the latest update. I had been hopeful that Entourage would work now as I heard about the improvements with the lastest update, but yesterday she lost all of her calendar appointments once again.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

This blog post from the Entourage MVPs has some great trouble-shooting steps for issues like this.

Since Sync Services doesn't sync everything to your iPhone (tasks and notes are the biggest omissions), I've heard good things about Missing Sync for iPhone. I haven't used it myself (I can explain my workaround, but it relies on having an Exchange account), so someone else will have to give a more specific recommendation as to whether this might meet your wife's needs.

Best regards,
    Nadyne.