Alternatives to Flip4Mac? Please?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MBHockey, Jul 29, 2007.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Are there any alternatives to Flip4Mac? While I love how it handles local wmv files in Quicktime, the web streaming has always been absolutely terrible (IMO). It just has never once worked right in the entire time I've owned it. I purchased it before it became free, which was a while ago, and I am unhappy to see that it STILL hasn't matured past an alpha-stage product.

The latest incarnation is with mlb.tv

I purchased this to watch my home team now that I've moved away, and mlb.tv directly states it supports Mac and Safari.

Needless to say, Flip4Mac is slow, choppy (even just audio)

Are there even any other alternatives to Flip4Mac for web streaming of wmv files?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well... if you have a PPC mac, I guess you can go and find WMP9. Alternatively, VLC has a browser plugin, although I've never really heard of anyone using it (the plugin, that is; everyone around here at least has VLC). It's available for both PPC and Intel now from here.

3. chuckiehina macrumors member

4. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

VLC doesn't do streaming web stuff to the best of my knowledge. I uninstalled Flip4Mac and saw there was a VLC plugin in the internet plug-ins folder, but nothing would play. I'm not sure what's going on there.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

LOL, WMV web streaming is terrible no matter what you do. I don't think I even ever got it to work once with WMP for Mac. Flip4Mac is the best you can do.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I wasn't aware that Flip4Mac would "do" streaming. Whenever I try to view streamed content, it does a progressive download of that video. Using QuickTime Pro I can then save the videos to my hard drive :D

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is a relatively new feature, and it has to be installed separately....

8. Queso macrumors G4

It's deliberately being kept crap by Microsoft, who refuse to allow Flip4Mac to use the updated streaming codecs used in WMP10. Just the typical Redmond business practice of lock in or lock out. :rolleyes:

9. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

10. Cavemate K macrumors member

I think VLC was causing my safari to crash, so I uninstalled it. Of course I also got rid of PithHelmet, so I'm not sure which one was causing the crashing. Safari now works fine, though. I've been having trouble with Flip4Mac while trying to watch mlsnet.com soccer videos. The only way I can get it to work is by specifying the program to play the videos in a seperate quicktime skin. Anyone have similar problems? Thanks.