Alternatives to Fluid apps

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by swrobel, Jul 13, 2016.

1. swrobel macrumors newbie

swrobel

Anyone have any good alternatives to Fluid that work as well? Fluid apps crash immediately on launch on Sierra, and it's pretty old/poorly maintained at this point, so I'm taking this as a cue that I need to find an alternative.

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

No alternatives to Fluid yet.

I'll respectfully offer that I don't agree with you on the poor maintenance bit as it was updated for 10.11 just before that OS went public and has been updated at least twice since with the latest in March... I'm being patient, lots of mods so far in Safari's underpinnings...

3. swrobel thread starter macrumors newbie

swrobel

I guess I'm basing this on the fact that a few sites say they don't support such an old browser. Google Docs, for example, says "This version of Safari is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser." I assume it's using some really old APIs.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

I'm inclined to believe it's the User Agent that's set up in a Fluid App. I've run into that message, and change the User Agent to one that is accepted by the site I'm wanting to set my app up for.

For instance, some of Google's services - Maps is the one I'm alluding to here - features available in Chrome are not available in Safari/WebKit or FireFox (i.e., it's "Satellite" in WebKit but "Earth" in Chrome with lots of 3D features) but changing their User Agent to Chrome makes the nifty new features available. Google Maps in Fluid sucks big time, until the User Agent is changed to "Google Chrome 49" (the latest available in my Fluid application, I'm using the paid version...). This is similar to ESPN's "requirement" of Flash for their site videos that work perfectly in Safari as HTML5 video once Safari's User Agent is changed to an iPad. :mad::mad::mad:

I'd offer a suggestion to change the site-specific Fluid app's User Agent - some work fine for me as "Automatic" while I need to select Chrome or IE for others. I hold the opinion that some web site devs purposely block features based on a browser's user agent - User Agent tweaks have borne me out.

5. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Anyone know if Fluid will be/could be updated to allow for Picture in Picture for videos? No idea how PIP works or if this is even possible, but it would be suuuuper useful for me if that could happen...

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

7. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I've also used Epichrome, but don't really like it as much as Fluid, since after initially launching your web app, the icon in the dock just opens a plain Chrome window when you click on it again instead of your web app. I haven't figured out a way to fix or alter this behavior.

To be honest I'm not sure what to think about Fluid at this point. I emailed their tech support twice since the spring for different things and never heard back. I really hope it is indeed still in active development, since I use it every day and would really miss it if it's not.

8. campyguy macrumors 68040

I'm still pretty sure we'll see an update once Safari's feature set gets nailed down. Getting hooks into a moving feature set is a real PITA, I've tried it myself with some of my own apps I dev for my company. Todd's still active, at least two of his apps on the MAS were updated in the past 3 days, Shapes pushed an update just yesterday...

9. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

That's really good to know actually, thanks @campyguy! Yeah, I def wouldn't expect an update before the final GM at least, especially knowing how many changes there are to Safari/WebKit this time around, I just was wondering if there would be an update at some point I guess. But knowing about the other apps seems promising and is good info. Thanks :)