Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
With a library of 28,000 songs (stored on a NAS and external hard drive) I'm looking to dump itunes for good. I'm using a 27" Imac 2019 and an iphone XS. I use ALAC format, and would love to be able to play high res files.

What's the current thinking on the best Mac-based alternative? I don't mind paying if it's good; a good (pretty?) interface is key as well, as is the ability for the program to find my thousands of songs and keep them sorted.

Many Thanks!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
With a library of 28,000 songs (stored on a NAS and external hard drive) I'm looking to dump itunes for good. I'm using a 27" Imac 2019 and an iphone XS. I use ALAC format, and would love to be able to play high res files.

What's the current thinking on the best Mac-based alternative? I don't mind paying if it's good; a good (pretty?) interface is key as well, as is the ability for the program to find my thousands of songs and keep them sorted.

Many Thanks!

I dumped iTunes for my encoded movie and tv show collection a while back and started using PLEX.

I have also added Music, but have not messed around with it, as I am still using iTunes Match for music.

PLEX might be worth looking into, as it is relatively easy to use, supports multi-platforms, and is free.

There are some benefits of getting the Plex Pass, which is $5 a month, or a one time fee of $120 for a lifetime pass, which after using the $5 a month for like 6 months, I ended up just getting the lifetime pass.

While I haven't used it for music much, I am sure it is better than iTunes.

PLEX has all the features that people have been asking for in iTunes. One of the best features is Profile support for family members.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Music.app? ;)
From what I have read, uh, no....
[automerge]1572549431[/automerge]
I dumped iTunes for my encoded movie and tv show collection a while back and started using PLEX.

I have also added Music, but have not messed around with it, as I am still using iTunes Match for music.

PLEX might be worth looking into, as it is relatively easy to use, supports multi-platforms, and is free.

There are some benefits of getting the Plex Pass, which is $5 a month, or a one time fee of $120 for a lifetime pass, which after using the $5 a month for like 6 months, I ended up just getting the lifetime pass.

While I haven't used it for music much, I am sure it is better than iTunes.

PLEX has all the features that people have been asking for in iTunes. One of the best features is Profile support for family members.
I have Plex, for my NAS/Apple TV, and have it on my iphone. I guess i want to have the alternative to have local copies of songs on my phone, so an app that permits that would be great.

Dumb question: if i rip my own cd's, how would i do that with plex?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The lamborghini of music players is $$$$ Roon. Streams even High Res files to supported devices, integrates your iTunes, Tidal and Quobuz libraries (one-way), multi-zone, handoff, etc. I run it from my NAS.

how would i do that with plex?

You have have to rip CDs in another program.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Roon looks great. Does the iPhone app stream or is the music store locally on the phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.