Alternatives to MacTheRipper?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by c073186, Sep 12, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I am trying to create a backup of a (commercial) DVD and I keep getting an error that there are bad sectors on the disc. Well, the disc itself is in perfect condition, so I wasn't sure why that would be. So I was just wondering if there are any alternative applications that will do the same thing as MTR just to check and see if it will work.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Handbrake will rip the media in a video format of your choosing but that may not be what you need.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does Handbrake rip it in a format that can be re-burned onto DVD? Or only viewed on the computer?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you mean burning to DVD as another Video-DVD, then no, you need Toast (or something else) to convert the video you converted/ripped via Handbrake to a usable Video-DVD.

But you can use Handbrake to convert the Video-DVD videos to a format you can use in a (real, meaning not software) DVD player, which today read a lot of formats, like .avi, .mpg and so on.

7. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do have Toast. So if I rip via Handbrake, then I can just burn it back to DVD in Toast? Does that retain the menus and everything or will that only burn the main video of the DVD?

8. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If Mac the Ripper (3.0) says that there are bad sectors on the DVD is there anything that I can do? I tried to burn the DVD and it has a few areas that it freezes up in. Like I said, I know it's not the DVD itself.

9. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

You could also try 4Media DVD Ripper, at least that's what I use, and it works like a charm :)

10. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

11. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Handbrake has always done the job for me. That way I don't need the DVD to watch a movie.

12. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does it work on commercial DVDs?

13. davidleon macrumors member

You can try to fix the bad sectors by running the VIDEO_TS folder through DVD2oneX2, with or without compression.

14. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Handbrake.

Another neat program is Lostify...

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The bad sectors on the DVD are intentional to prevent copying.
    If you want a complete DVD video_TS folder, you'll need to let MacTheRipper do it's thing, then see how it worked when it's done.

MTR 3 (which you must pay for to get) does a better job with these discs than the free version.

You will sometimes have to use DVD2one X to remove the zero-byte sectors (which I think also has to be paid for).

Unfortunately this is a complex problem that will require some effort.

Handbrake is good, but will rip an mp4 or mov file, which is not what you're looking for if you want to keep all the menus, special features, etc.