Alternatives to OSX Finder?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AndyTNZ, Nov 17, 2011.

1. AndyTNZ macrumors newbie

I've recently moved from PC to Mac ... and I'm enjoying it so far, but I have to say that Finder seems very clunky compared with Win 7 Windows Explorer and file management is a real chore in OSX. Do Mac fans put up with this? Am I missing something here? .... or are there widely used more sophisticated third party alternatives that I could consider?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

PathFinder. It's more like windows explorer and even better if you take the time to find out how to use it. It costs $29, if I recall correctly, and you can do a month trial to find out if you like it.

3. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

I also made the switch from Windows 7 a couple of months ago and after a few days getting used to where things are, I've been ok with it. Maybe you used more layouts or features than me on Windows, but what is it that you've noticed is missing from Finder?

And I'd definitely recommend downloading BetterTouchTool. Currently using it to add 2 finger swipe back and forth in Finder and the Mac App Store.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Cut (dragging is not everyone), being able to view all files, reasonable views and sorting methods that one would be used to after using other file managers are just some of the things that immediately come to mind.

5. AndyTNZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Not so much missing .... but creating folders and sub-folders is a problem as is dragging and dropping files, copying files to new locations, expanding the Finder to full screen ... the list goes on ....