Alternatives to Programming iOS apps in Cocoa?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jimmykup, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jimmykup macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in learning how to create iOS apps. My programming background is limited to years of HTML and CSS knowledge and just a little bit of PHP. From the research I've done I can tell I have a lot of work ahead of me.

As I understand it I'll need to learn C, then Objective-C, and then finally Cocoa. My question is if there is an alternative to using Cocoa to develop iOS applications. For instance, I'm under the impression that I can develop an application in another programming language and then use something Appcelerator (http://www.appcelerator.com/) to turn it into a compatible iOS application.

My apologies if my post reeks of ignorance. I'm trying to find the best way to tackle this new direction I'm trying to take. Just looking for all of the options I have to consider.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ianray macrumors 6502

Adobe Packager for iPhone can be used to build iOS Apps Adobe's AIR SDK. See here.

Appcelerator Apps are written in javascript.

Knowledge of C is not an absolute pre-requisite for Objective-C. A good place to start is: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac.

Different people learn in different ways -- but I highly recommend using the above document and online tutorials to get something running in XCode, and then proceed from there.

A wise programmer once said that after your first program compiles and runs, then everything else is easy :)

3. jimmykup thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply and the info! It's good to know that C isn't an absolute pre-req.

One last question, is there much of a difference between developing traditional applications versus developing games? Should I steer towards a different programming language for games versus regular apps?