alternatives to protools for tv/radio production?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by azenis, Feb 7, 2008.

1. azenis macrumors newbie

I am a long time PC based Pro Tools user, and about to get a new mac pro. Only trouble is that 'tools wont run on a new Mac Pro yet. Oh the irony.

Anyhow, I was wondering if there were any decent alternatives out there these days, that are well suited to what I do, which is producing audio for TV and radio commercials, video narrations etc etc. Mostly editing voiceovers, mixing them with music etc, need good dynamics controls, reverb and eq etc. Easy import of my mp3 music and sfx library and export as mp3/wav/aif files for clients.

Logic Pro 8 looks interesting but I have heard it doesnt do realtime processing, and the reverb etc is a bit crummy?

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

Perhaps one of these Bias products would work for you?

Also, look at Steinberg's Nuendo.

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i've had excellent results doing post production with digital performer.

voiceover, music, sfx, mixing..mono, stereo, 5.1 and 7.1...it's done me right.

for best results you will need some 3rd party reverbs and processors...i use altiverb and liquidmix.

i'm sure logic would do you well also...

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Logic does do real-time processing and the Space designer reverb is fine as long as you understand hoe convoluted reverb works.

Protools LE is working under Panther, albeit with mixed results, and HD is reportedly running in 10.5 on the new Pro's. There was some question about the PCI slots, but they seem to work just fine.

Digidesign are being there usual lax selves about updating to panther, but the news iin the meantime isn;t bad.

5. jr1478le macrumors newbie

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

its not that protools won't work, digidesign just hasn't finished testing it and they can't tell you it will work.

If youre used to protools why change??

7. azenis thread starter macrumors newbie

Well... new computer, new platform/os, why not a new DAW.
    Ill be running 'tools under bootcamp/xp if digi dont pull their finger out and get it working... otherwise I reckon I might grab Logic and some other i/o box that uses core audio...

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I'm pretty sure what ever hardware you already have will work with logic... I was able to run nuendo on my old 002r

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You can use Logic with Digi hardware, in fact almost every audio app will speak to Digi's hardware.

HD is now Leopard compatible, LE to follow soon apparently.

10. azenis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know I will be able to use the m-box with logic but the trouble is that the m-box wont work with leopard and noone knows how long it will be until it does.

With any luck it will be this week and my computer will arrive the same time, which will be good :)

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

My M-box Pro works with leopard just fine, but that may not be the case for all m-boxes.

12. azenis thread starter macrumors newbie

OK great :) I just have the original M-Box. The computer is scheduled for delivery on Saturday (so hopefully friday, more likely monday grumble) so I guess I will find out then :)

13. dLight macrumors member

I've used Logic exclusively on various TV (and film) productions, and recommend it highly. The Space Designer (convolution reverb) is excellent, and I wonder what it is that you think Logic doesn't do in real time. Even in the first version of Logic that supported Pro Tools hardware. Logic could do real time stuff with that hardware that the Pro Tools software couldn't!

14. azenis thread starter macrumors newbie

Good good :) When i made the original post all I knew about it was some comment someone made on it on the internet, so its good to know it does. Its a bit hard when you dont know anyone with it and the local apple retailer cant demo it for ya... as for old versions of the software... dont ask me the last mac i used was running os9 and protools (g4) and that was at work so didnt have options to look at other software etc so i have no idea about the old stuff