Alternatives to Speck Cases - which do you recommend?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yojitani, Jan 27, 2008.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I have a clear Speck case on my macbook right now, but the rubber feet are coming off and making a sticky mess everywhere so this seems like excuse enough for me to get a new case. The question is: which one? I've never been wild about the Speck design (it's ugly IMO), but techshells seem to be better... there are lots of options out there and I was wondering what other macbook users were happy with.

One thing I'm looking for, btw is something with pretty solid rubber feet (!) or at least something on the bottom that will help prevent sliding.The reason is that I recently bought an IKEA Dave desk and when I have it on an incline, the rubber feet come in pretty handy!

thanks!

2. hppenterprises macrumors newbie

Hey -
    Have you considered the U-Suit from UNIEA? (www.uniea.com). They are very popular - they don't have rubber feet, but they are made of this leathery material, so it wouldn't slip at all, unless you were on a SERIOUS slick incline.

They make them for 13, 15, and 17" models in a variety of colors. The texture is like a soft leather - like a leather couch or something. People seem to be very pleased with them so far.

I've not had experience with the Tech Shells, they seem almost identical to the Speck cases, but from what I understand, I think they've been around longer.

Hope that helps!

3. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Thanks! It's good to hear recommendations like this. It seems Macally makes a very similar case for about half the price. Anyone know if there is a quality difference between the two?

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Are the leather sleeves sturdy enough to protect my MBP from a dent in case I drop it?

I am not too big a fan of the Speck cases myself although they do save your Mac from heck of a lot of cosmetic damage when you fly often. I do hope they make a matte version of it (much like frosted glass), it will look more classy IMO than the cheap shiny plastic.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered one for my Black Macbook. This is exactly what I was looking for.

6. BJNY macrumors regular

7. MazingerZ macrumors 6502

MazingerZ

The UINEA cases are ugly...esp the gray ones....beware... IMHO.

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Looks good. Anyway aren't they taking a huge risk against a redesign? If Apple changes the chassis configuration somewhat that is thousands of unsellable cases for these guys.

9. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I don't care for the gray, but I think the Black looks sharp.

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

My speck case scratched the macbook to heck never again speck!!!

11. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Those do look pretty good. I like the idea of the elevated feet. Thanks for pointing that out!

12. sportsnut macrumors regular

I bought this one for my blackbook from Amazon for $28.00

I am very happy with it. I don't use it all the time though. It snaps on very quickly and because the inside is a felt material it does not scratch the case up.