Alternatives to the 27" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SmallWalrus, Jan 2, 2011.

1. SmallWalrus macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

First post!

I really need some of your advice on this dilemma… I am quite keen on getting a 27" ACD, but it is glossy and is kind of lacking when it comes to connection options, so it is quite a bummer.

Still, it is one glorious looking display…

Does anyone know of a better alternative? In particular what I am looking for in an ideal display would be something like:
    1) IPS panel
    2) LED backlighting
    3) Matte anti reflective surface
    4) VESA mountable

Does such a monitor exist? I have searched far and wide to no avail. Thanks!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have a Dell U2711 on order which should be in my office in a week when I return from CES. I bought it over the Apple ACD only because it has more inputs than the ACD (HDMI, DisplayPort with audio, DVI-D (HDCP), USB and VGA ports). I want to be able to connect my Lenovo X201 and my 11.6" MBA simultaneously. I am planning to connect the X201 via native displayport... and connect my MBA via the Apple dual-link DVI adapter. Both computers can support the monitor's native 2560X1440 resolution. Price is similar to the ACD.

Answering your questions (according to the Dell website):

- IPS Panel (I've read the same as the ACD Cinema Display)
    - I believe LED backlighting is standard with IPS... but I am only 99% sure
    - Anti glare with hard coat 3H
    - VESA mount option (I did not order it).

I'll be back in the office on 1/10/11 so send me a message if you want my opinion after I receive it.

/Jim

3. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Yes the U2711 is the closest. The entire panel is not the same as the ACD but close enough and both are made by LG. Not that many 27" displays have such a high resolution and those that do are generally quite a bit more than either the Apple or Dell display. i would love to buy a 27" ACD but the connections options are getting me too. i want to connect my work PC to the display since I work from home a lot as well as several Macs and easily switch between them.
    The cheapest price I have found is $879 from Compusource with no tax or shipping. I have no experience with them as a vendor.

http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=549004072&vid=2537&src=F

4. mfram macrumors 65816

I own the U2711. It's a nice monitor. The only requirement it doesn't meet is the LED backlight. The Dell is a CCFL backlight. But that's not a huge deal for me. The monitor gets very bright. I normally have my brightness setting between 35-50 (out of 100).

With more inputs and a quality adjustable stand, I think it's a clear alternative if you want a 27" monitor.

The only "bad" thing about the monitor to me is that it doesn't look quite as pretty as the ACD. But the screen quality is excellent and it has a very nice stand. Yes, it contains VESA compatible mounting holes.

5. toxic, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011

toxic macrumors 68000

the only other 27" options are the NEC PA271w and Dell U2711, which share the same, wide-gamut (102% NTSC) IPS panel. they do not use the same panel as the 27" Cinema, which is a standard gamut (sRGB, 72% NTSC) display. the Cinema is the only IPS panel in the size range (27-30") I'm aware of with LED backlighting.

I would not recommend a wide-gamut monitor unless you have an explicit reason to have it, or if you're ok "wasting" your money on wide-gamut and running it in sRGB mode. I recommend looking for older 30" models which use sRGB, like the 30" Cinema or Dell 3007wfp instead.

edit: for another option, you could consider Adobe RGB (92% NTSC) displays, which are still wide-gamut but much more manageable in terms of how oversaturated certain colors will appear. that gives you one more option, the HP LP3065.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

The Dell U2711 is probably the cheapest option of the three, however. Recently, in the UK it could be had for about £570 on offer, which is considerably less than the ACD. The 30" models are a lot more expensive, even second hand.

7. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I have the NEC PA271W and it is awesome. All the positive reviews are well-earned. The built-in KVM and picture-in-picture can be extremely useful if you have two computers attached.

8. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hey, can you let me know where i could get the 2711 for £570? Is that including VAT? Thanks!

9. pss-pt macrumors newbie

Hi!

You can find here.

10. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi,

Thanks, but there's obviously 20% VAT on top of that.

Cheers