Alternatives to the Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by opencube, Jun 14, 2012.

1. opencube macrumors member

I have a 2008 model, despite loving the track pad, the keyboard, the screen ive never been that impressed by its performance or a huge fan os OSX. (Ive used Macs and Windows machines for close to 20yrs)

Recently its been crashing without warning, meaning i've been losing valuable work.

Im looking for an alternative laptop.... and due to the poor upgrade facilities of the new crop of MBPs im looking elsewhere.

Im not sure if there is a thread on here where the question has been asked already, but are any of you moving from a MBP to a Windows based machine... if so what do you recommend?

I work predominantly in UI / web and print design so will use the Adobe suite of products.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Buy a non-retina 15". They're as upgradable as they always were.

If it has to be a Windows machine you can't go wrong with a ThinkPad.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

As stated buy the 2012 non Retina MBP, i am even considering one myself and I have a late 2010 15"; I could easily sell my 2011 MBP at little loss, add a 512 SSD to a 2012 and have the benefit of USB 3.0 and enhanced cooling, last of line best of it`s kind. The R-MBP is a very different machine and I absolutely need to see one first hand and then weigh up the +/- of the new platform.

I moved late last year as my own Early 2008 15" was starting to show it`s age, the Late 2011 MBP is a superb machine and I could simply add a 512 Samsung SSD and an Apple 27" cinema display, it wouldn't be "Retina" but it would definitely haul ass, and I would have a fabulous external monitor...

decisions, decisions...

4. opencube thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thinkpads get a lot of praise despite looking like very traditional laptops.

Ill check them out.

5. Brett0712 macrumors member

Thinkpads are the way to go. I've had a T60p since 2007 and still use it as a ~work laptop to this day. It hasn't let me down once.

I've been itching to get a new W520!