Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Bangor, ME
Looking for 3rd party apps to play the music on my iPhone. Any recommendations?

If anyone cares why:
I'm fairly frustrated with the new music app because my old way of working was: Go to Artists -> Find Album on List -> Play. Then have the album repeat, which was a good way to get a couple good listens to a new album over my relatively short commute each morning.

I know I can go by album view, but I'll be honest sometimes I download an album and I don't remember the name of the album but would recognize it as new when I looked at the list for an artist -- because it's new to me. And even the album view is frustrating because of having so many less albums listed. Having the old structure really worked for me.

Anyway, are there any good alternatives in the app store? I'm initially trying the Denon Audio app -- didn't buy the EQs as I don't need them -- and with a couple settings tweaks seems pretty good but maybe not perfect.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I prefer Amazon cloud player. There's nothing wrong with my iPhone or iPad and there's not much wrong with iTunes. I just prefer to keep my stuff in mp3 format when I rip my own CDs. I also like buying a CD and getting an instant rip simply show up in my cloud player. The controls are almost as nice as the music player that comes with iThings and I get to keep my music in a format that works best for me. BTW, cloud player also sees iTunes purchased media on your iThing so you have access to both sets of media.

I've got about 500MB of stuff in cloud player and it is cached locally and can be played without an internet connection.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Try Lagu. It's a throwback to the iOS 5 music app and adds some well implemented queue options

jazzbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Bangor, ME
Thanks. I've tried a couple and Lagu does have the best "old style" feel for me so far -- looks like it might do the trick.

iThat

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
CarTunes is very good too. Great for use if your device is docked or in the car or both :)

ps:
Here are a few more:

Smartplayer
Another one kinda similar to CarTunes.

Nikeplus app
Has song import and power song selection good for when you are working out.

Endomono
Same as nikeplus

AUDYSSEY
Good for when using earplugs or earphones. Actually works very well.

Obviously there are others. There are even some gps apps that have song import as well. And(you probably already know this but) "Sleep Time / Sleep Time+" can use your music collection as a wakeup alarm.

Hope this helps.

pps:
I checked out Lagu , looks great thanks to the person that suggested this.

Christozoid

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Denon iOS equalizer app with Amazon Cloud Player

I prefer Amazon cloud player. There's nothing wrong with my iPhone or iPad and there's not much wrong with iTunes. I just prefer to keep my stuff in mp3 format when I rip my own CDs. I also like buying a CD and getting an instant rip simply show up in my cloud player. The controls are almost as nice as the music player that comes with iThings and I get to keep my music in a format that works best for me. BTW, cloud player also sees iTunes purchased media on your iThing so you have access to both sets of media.

I've got about 500MB of stuff in cloud player and it is cached locally and can be played without an internet connection.

I agree. But can I use Denon iOS equalizer app with Amazon Cloud Player? Amazon automatically upgraded all my old songs to the highest definition that they carry. My sounds now have a wide range of tones that an equalizer could exploit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.