Alternatives to VLC player?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikeheenan, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

I have a 17" MBP i5 with 4gb memory (the latest model), and sometimes when watching 1080p mkv rips, VLC struggles with playing them, freezing and blocking for a while then resuming playback, and this happens throughout videos. Is there another alternative to VLC?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Movist, but it's still a beta. Trying it would at least help determine if VLC is actually the problem.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Although I think VLC is better than the following solution, you could install perian (perian.org) to play the files with quicktime. Quicktime needs time though to "decode" the mkv file. (you can see the timeline loading).

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Is this movie file sitting on a network drive, or on your computer's internal hard drive? Because that's the only scenario where I've ever seen vlc stutter on a modern computer.

5. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

I always watch them from the computer hard drive. Sometimes they play through fine 100%, but it seems sometimes it clogs up the memory so much that the computer is incapacitated when I quit and close VLC and it seems it takes almost 10 seconds or so for things to normalize.

6. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Movist is a much better player than vlc in my book. Try it out

7. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I've always thought VLC for Mac was the best thing ever... never had any problems with playing 1080P MKVs.

VLC for Windows is BRUTAL though.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Then increase the file cache to 3000 ms (milliseconds) in the VLC prefs.

----------

What? There is no difference, compared to the Mac version (ok, the Windows version has hardware accelerated VC-1 (WMV3) and H.264 decoding on systems with supported graphics cards).