Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I’m wondering does anyone know if the altimeter on the Series 3 watch record changes in altitude during an activity? Is it limited to outdoor activities only or for all?

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I believe it must, but can't seem to see it anywhere, at least in any summary offered by Apple. When I look at an outdoor run tracked with Stock workout app, I can see an "elevation change" metric in the summary. But I can't see elevation along the route, etc. When I pull my activities into RunGap I can see the AW tracked elevation. When I use RunGap to export to Garmin Connect I can also see the elevation track. The AW tracked elevation is hyper accurate and identical to my Garmin watches IF I have just calibrated the Garmin Altimeter. So accurate in fact that I think the AW must be getting the elevation from GPS.

And here is the RunGap summary page and elevation graph which comes directly from Health as tracked by the AW app.

Untitled by Jeff, on Flickr

And here is the same AW run pulled into Garmin:
(edited to remove link not working. See screen print below)

And here is a gratuitous pic of my watch ready for a run......;-):

Damn. For some reason Garmin not fully loading the link, so here is a screen print of the same run:

AW Run in Garmin by Jeff , on Flickr

Last edited:

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
It must be for outdoor only then, and that sort of makes sense, barometric readings go haywire when indoors, different pressure, etc. Okay, I can deal with that, I'm just getting used to going to the AW3 from the Garmin Fenix 5, and Suunto Spartan Ultra. Too much watch for what I do.. :), and the AW does almost the same thing, without the extra price.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I also run an F3, and have an F5X. My AW runs include a Garmin on the other wrist, footpod and Tempe sensors on the shoes. I like data. And I'm trying to improve my cadence, which requires Garmin because AW cadence is junk.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I am/was a data freak also, and loved all that the watches generated, problem was, that I a) didn't know what to do with it all, and b) was never into it enough to actuallly work on improving my VO2Max. I'm just an old man trying to squeeze a few more years out of my existance, after having retired from a sedentiary position (Network Administrator).. Although, using Rungap, I can still see most of the data I saw before, between Movescount, and Garmin Connect.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Ditto! And so far the AW tracks very close to the Garmin data. Distances, average pace, HR (because using Scosche for both), etc. Very pleased with how my S2 and S3 perform. Added advantage from music from watch and LTE on the S3!
[doublepost=1512066524][/doublepost]Not sure what you're using for HR, but if important for you to monitor as it is to me, try the Scosche Rhythm Plus! Best $80 I every spent.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Ditto! And so far the AW tracks very close to the Garmin data. Distances, average pace, HR (because using Scosche for both), etc. Very pleased with how my S2 and S3 perform. Added advantage from music from watch and LTE on the S3!
[doublepost=1512066524][/doublepost]Not sure what you're using for HR, but if important for you to monitor as it is to me, try the Scosche Rhythm Plus! Best $80 I every spent.
I already have the Scosche, had it for a couple years, and absolutely LOVE it. It's so handy for times when you don't want to hook yourself up to a chest strap, and IMHO, it's just almost as accurate as any of the Garmin straps, ( had trouble with both HRM-Run types). And, as an added benefit, did you know that the AW will see, and pair multiple heart rate monitors? I use a Tickr-X for the chest strap, and the Scosche for when I don't want to wear the Tickr. That's something the $800 Suunto watches cannot do! I know my Garmin 5, and 5X would do that, but it amazed me that Suunto's couldn't.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I have the Garmin HRM Run also, as well as an earlier one. I did several tests comparing both the Scosche and the Chest straps and couldn't find any difference-other than a second or two in timing, and except sometimes the chest straps would drop out and Scosche never has. I only wish the Scosche device or its app would tell me battery % remaining. But, no big deal since I get at least 8 hours so I just charge it up every once in awhile.
[doublepost=1512068432][/doublepost]Now I need Apple to allow connection of other external sensors, but I'm sure they won't until they market a $200 cadence sensor.....

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
I also run an F3, and have an F5X. My AW runs include a Garmin on the other wrist, footpod and Tempe sensors on the shoes. I like data. And I'm trying to improve my cadence, which requires Garmin because AW cadence is junk.

I had a F3/F3HR and F5X. GPS accuracy was horrible on all three of them. I know have an AW3 cellular and use it with a Stryd footpod. It is fully compatible with the AW3 through their dedicated app.

Ever since I got Stryd, I stopped worry. Haven't looked back!

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I believe it must, but can't seem to see it anywhere, at least in any summary offered by Apple. When I look at an outdoor run tracked with Stock workout app, I can see an "elevation change" metric in the summary. But I can't see elevation along the route, etc. When I pull my activities into RunGap I can see the AW tracked elevation. When I use RunGap to export to Garmin Connect I can also see the elevation track. The AW tracked elevation is hyper accurate and identical to my Garmin watches IF I have just calibrated the Garmin Altimeter. So accurate in fact that I think the AW must be getting the elevation from GPS.

And here is the RunGap summary page and elevation graph which comes directly from Health as tracked by the AW app.

Damn. For some reason Garmin not fully loading the link, so here is a screen print of the same run:

I like the detail except for the watch showing 70 degrees. :)

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I like the detail except for the watch showing 70 degrees. :)

75f today and 80f tomorrow here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area......mu ha ha ha haaaaaa. I actually have to run early to catch the cooler temps.
[doublepost=1512143196][/doublepost]
I had a F3/F3HR and F5X. GPS accuracy was horrible on all three of them. I know have an AW3 cellular and use it with a Stryd footpod. It is fully compatible with the AW3 through their dedicated app.

Ever since I got Stryd, I stopped worry. Haven't looked back!

I've thought about Stryd, but still researching it.

As for Garmin and AW accuracy, you must have access to certified courses more than me. By my car odometer and calibrated bike computer my Garmins and AW are tracking accurately enough for me. Here are screen prints, since I can't get Garmin link to fully load lately. Which of these Garmin F3 or AW tracked distance, pace would you think was off? (same run, same date, but I have to fool Garmin by changing date on one so it will consider them different):

(Edited to add: Slightly different GPS tracks, elevation-AW is correct, and pace smoothing. The AW after some update actually reacts to pace changes quicker than the Garmin. DC Rainmaker may need to update his review and "dismal" conclusion). The AW track is smoother, and so depending on course, the Garmin will record .01 or .02 different than AW sometimes, but not on this run.

AW3:
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 9.42.08 AM by Jeff , on Flickr

F3:
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 9.42.33 AM by Jeff , on Flickr

Last edited:

ragman

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009

Interested to know which app you are using for the middle complication on the watch face? Thanks !

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.