Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Developer Snowman today announced that its popular endless runner game for iOS, Alto's Adventure, is now available on macOS computers. The developer says that the launch of the game on macOS was timed with the upcoming release of macOS Mojave and the new Mac App Store, which should arrive at around 10:00 a.m. PT later today.

alto-on-mac.jpg

You don't need macOS Mojave to download Alto's Adventure, however, since the game is out on the Mac App Store now for $9.99 [Direct Link]. The game follows Alto as he journeys across various environments on an endless snowboarding adventure, where players have to guide Alto and chain together combos using a one-trick button system.

Alto's Adventure first launched for iOS in February 2015, and was followed up this year with a sequel called Alto's Odyssey. The sequel is still an endless runner, but introduces new features, controls, and a new desert location. Snowman says there's a good chance that Alto's Odyssey will appear on macOS as well.

Article Link: Alto's Adventure Now Available on macOS

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Endless runners usually scream "brief, small screen" levels of engagement, but this particular game is so beautifully rendered I actually think it makes a lot of sense on bigger screens.

Reactions: dwaltwhit

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I find it interesting that most iOS games work on all iOS devices after you purchase them. But Mac versions still carry a premium. Wouldn't it be to Apple's benefit to have all games available on all Apple platforms? How many people will buy the same game twice just to play it on their laptop instead of their tablet?

I'm pretty sure I'd rather play this on the Apple TV at half price, but everyone has their reasons.

Reactions: lec0rsaire

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I think this game is best on ATV. It’s as if it was designed for it. The one button click just feels good but I think iOS apps on macOS will be revolutionary since that is where most of the innovation and excitement is coming from these days. The Mac App Store will cease to be useless apart from buying FCPX and Logic to a lesser extent for the musicians among us.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Would love to see apple make apps and especially games more crossplatform friendly. Make it easy to port from iOS to macOS.
I really liked the game and I might install it on my iPad again, but I will not pay for it just to have it on my Mac

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I wonder why developers charge more for the same app on MacOS than iOS. After all, it's the same game play and functionality and most of the underlying code is same. There is some coding involved to port the app to MacOS but the same is also true for porting to iOS.
Fantastical calendar or e.g. is $5 for iPhone and $50 on MacOS. They might get more sales if prices across iOS and MacOS are comparable.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I wonder why developers charge more for the same app on MacOS than iOS. After all, it's the same game play and functionality and most of the underlying code is same. There is some coding involved to port the app to MacOS but the same is also true for porting to iOS.
Fantastical calendar or e.g. is $5 for iPhone and $50 on MacOS. They might get more sales if prices across iOS and MacOS are comparable.
Economics of scale.

FWIW, Alto is made for the Apple TV. Lean back and zen out.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Economics of scale should make an cheaper or at the least same price on multiple platforms because underlying code is the same. The same app need not cost more on a bigger screen
Economics of scale.

FWIW, Alto is made for the Apple TV. Lean back and zen out.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Economics of scale should make an cheaper or at the least same price on multiple platforms because underlying code is the same. The same app need not cost more on a bigger screen
That's not how economics of scale quite works. They expect to sell less of it, so to maximise ROI the price is higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.