Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier in February, developer Snowman announced that "Alto's Odyssey" would be launching on iOS and tvOS Thursday, February 22, but the game has appeared one day early on both App Stores and is available to download right now for $4.99 [Direct Link] (via TouchArcade). Alto's Odyssey isn't featured yet on the United States App Store, but a search for it on both iOS and tvOS should surface the correct game.

Originally set to debut in summer 2017, Alto's Odyssey is the sequel to the original 2015 game "Alto's Adventure" and keeps the endless runner gameplay that the original was known for while introducing new features, controls, and a new desert location. Both games feature a "one-touch trick system" that players use to control the main character to chain together combos and complete various goals.

alto-odyssey-launch-app-store.jpg

If anyone has yet to play the original, Snowman said that Alto's Odyssey is a standalone experience and doesn't require knowledge of Alto's Adventure. Other features of Alto's Odyssey include:
- Explore Biomes. From the dunes, to the canyons, to the temples, explore a rich and diverse landscape, with each area boasting unique visuals and gameplay.
- Newfound heights. Discover secrets in the sky with hot-air balloons, moving grind rails, and wall riding.
- Meet Alto and friends. Unlock six unique characters, each with their own attributes and abilities.
- Zen Mode. Complete with its own serene soundtrack, this relaxing mode distills Odyssey down to its purest elements: no scores, no coins, and no power-ups. Just you and the endless desert.
- Photo Mode. From the pause screen, get behind the lens and take stunning photos of your trip through the desert. Pinch, swipe, pan and zoom to frame the ideal shot, and share them with friends and family.
Alto's Odyssey is a universal app with iCloud support, so users can play the game on iPhone or iPad and have their progress synced across devices, even Apple TV. The game also supports a "purchase once, play forever" promise on its App Store description, and Snowman states that it has no ads or in-app purchases anywhere within the game. Those interested can purchase Alto's Odyssey for $4.99 starting today [Direct Link].

Article Link: 'Alto's Odyssey' Launches One Day Early on iOS and tvOS App Stores

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008

Earlier in February, developer Snowman announced that "Alto's Odyssey" would be launching on iOS and tvOS Thursday, February 22, but the game has appeared one day early on both App Stores and is available to download right now for $4.99 [Direct Link] (via TouchArcade). Alto's Odyssey isn't featured yet on the United States App Store, but a search for it on both iOS and tvOS should surface the correct game.

Originally set to debut in summer 2017, Alto's Odyssey is the sequel to the original 2015 game "Alto's Adventure" and keeps the endless runner gameplay that the original was known for while introducing new features, controls, and a new desert location. Both games feature a "one-touch trick system" that players use to control the main character to chain together combos and complete various goals.

alto-odyssey-launch-app-store.jpg

If anyone has yet to play the original, Snowman said that Alto's Odyssey is a standalone experience and doesn't require knowledge of Alto's Adventure. Other features of Alto's Odyssey include:
Alto's Odyssey is a universal app with iCloud support, so users can play the game on iPhone or iPad and have their progress synced across devices, even Apple TV. The game also supports a "purchase once, play forever" promise on its App Store description, and Snowman states that it has no ads or in-app purchases anywhere within the game. Those interested can purchase Alto's Odyssey for $4.99 starting today [Direct Link].

Article Link: 'Alto's Odyssey' Launches One Day Early on iOS and tvOS App Stores

I’ve never heard of it, but the article says it’s an “endless runner” is that like a tomb runner style type of game? I’ve kinda grown weary of those.

Edit: I mean temple run type of game

Reactions: augustrushrox

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Love it! Been playing for 90 minutes, gorgeously designed visuals and soUnd, fun gameplay, no annoying ads or mags for IAPs—because there are no IAPs.

If you liked Altos Adventure, you’ll like Odyssey at least as much and your skills will carry over.

If you never played Altos Adventure, you don’t need to play it first, play them in any order.

eiprol

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Spain
You are the reason so few games as good as this exist on iOS anymore. Quit being a cheapskate, its $5 and much more than an endless runner in the traditional sense.

As a game developer that just published a premium game (that luckily was even featured, but I won't say which one is), my only hope is that more and more people realize this. :rolleyes:
Sadly, that's not the trend. And not all kind of games can be freemium nor have ads...

I try to buy every (good-looking) new premium game that come out, no matter what...And I've done the same with Alto.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Been playing this this morning (came out a day early).

First impressions are great.

However, if you’re on an iPhone X you have to contend with that annoying bar at the bottom of your screen that you can’t hide. At least in this game it’s translucent (in Alto’s Adventure it’s white at all times - which makes the game unplayable on iPhone X in my opinion).

The iPhone X bar in Odyssey is still distracting, so I’d say your mileage may vary in terms of whether you’ll enjoy the game there. I’ll probably just play it on my iPad so I’m not annoyed.

On the plus side, I now spend way less money on iOS games since iPhone X came out because of a combination of the notch and bar getting in the way. In Alto’s the notch on the left of the screen isn’t distracting at all, but the bar at the bottom is.

Shame, really.

For all other iOS devices you’re in for a treat.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
As a game developer that just published a premium game (that luckily was even featured, but I won't say which one is), my only hope is that more and more people realize this. :rolleyes:
Sadly, that's not the trend. And not all kind of games can be freemium nor have ads...

I try to buy every (good-looking) new premium game that come out, no matter what...And I've done the same with Alto.
Yep, supporting the developers of quality, beautiful games like this is key.

I'm a broken record on this but it just amazes me what everyday garbage people will spend money on but refuse to buy an app for a few bucks from good developers. Some of those same people will then complain about in app purchases of gems, coins, etc. Sadly enough people are ok with it. But I will challenge anyone who complains about companies having too much of our data since thats the price (haha) we pay for free stuff like google, facebook, candy crush, etc.

Continue the fight & support developers of quality apps.

Reactions: sartrekid

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
I ordered it the moment I was notified of its upcoming release (pre-order was available).

It costs less than a Starbucks coffee and I'll gladly support and pay more for apps that are done with passion and devotion.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You are the reason so few games as good as this exist on iOS anymore. Quit being a cheapskate, its $5 and much more than an endless runner in the traditional sense.

I gladly paid $5 for the new The Room game and Spider 2, but I’m growing a bit tired of the endless runner genre.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
If you buy the iOS version do you also get the Apple TV version too?? Or is it a separate app for the Apple TV??

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
I agree with you except the part about being judgy. Some members of this forum are college students struggling to pay for their textbooks. Others have other reasons for limiting their spending. If you don’t know someone’s situation, don’t judge their choices.

But I totally agree with you that this is a terrific game/app, $5 is very reasonable for such a well-done game that has no ads and doesn’t constantly nag you to make IAPs. We vote with our dollars. Buying games like this encourages more. If people can afford to, they should buy apps like this and support the development of high quality apps.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
As someone who grew with free similar games in websites like newgrounds before there were smartphones I find there is no need to charge more than $0.99 for one. Is not being a cheapskate, but knowing the value of games. I own hundreds of console games so IMO I have a proper grasp on what value I should give to endless runners in 2018.
Premium games I am all for it, endless runner have no premium label in my book.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
As someone who grew with free similar games in websites like newgrounds before there were smartphones I find there is no need to charge more than $0.99 for one. Is not being a cheapskate, but knowing the value of games. I own hundreds of console games so IMO I have a proper grasp on what value I should give to endless runners in 2018.

Premium games I am all for it, endless runner have no premium label in my book.
I grew up in the same era pal. Doesn't mean I cant find value in games. The game is a work of art. As a console gamer you should understand and appreciate that rather than lumping it into "just another runner". Sure its an endless runner, thats beautiful, relaxing and clear that a lot of love was put into it (similar to games like monument valley).

Reactions: roncron

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Spoken as someone who’s never played Alto’s Adventure.
Spoken as someone that doesn't game much and yes I have, its cute and works good enough as a endless runner, that's it.
I grew up in the same era pal. Doesn't mean I cant find value in games. The game is a work of art. As a console gamer you should understand and appreciate that rather than lumping it into "just another runner". Sure its an endless runner, thats beautiful, relaxing and clear that a lot of love was put into it (similar to games like monument valley).
I also have a big steam library and I'm sure this is just another runner. The game is cute but not a work of art. IMO its just a $1 worth. Is it the prettiest endless runner right now? sure, but that's it, just an endless runner with smooth enough mechanics. $4.99 for an endless runner is asking too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.