Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Toronto-based game developer Snowman today announced that "Alto's Odyssey: The Lost City" will be launching on Apple Arcade on Friday, July 16, as one of several new classic games being added to the subscription-based service.

altos-odyssey-the-lost-city-banner.jpg

First released in 2018, Alto's Odyssey is an award-winning endless sandboarding game with beautiful procedurally generated graphics, dynamic lighting and weather conditions, and original music. In the Apple Arcade edition of the game, players will embark on a sandboarding journey to find a new biome called The Lost City and unearth the secrets hidden within, with the classic Alto's Odyssey experience preserved.

At the heart of Alto's Odyssey and its 2015 predecessor, Alto's Adventure, is physics-based movement with a one-touch trick system.

A long list of classic games were added to Apple Arcade in April, including "Fruit Ninja" and "Monument Valley," and more classics are coming soon, including "Angry Birds Reloaded" and "Doodle God Universe." Priced at $4.99 per month, Apple Arcade provides access to a catalog of nearly 200 games without ads or in-app purchases across the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV, with additional titles added periodically.

Article Link: 'Alto's Odyssey: The Lost City' Launches on Apple Arcade on July 16

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Looks great.

I’m not a gamer, but I’m tempted to try Arcade via Apple One service as my Apple Music subscription is ending and my iCloud storage is filling up.

It’s easy to see how Apple services is killing it financially these past few years.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

iFan86

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2020
So are the days of non subscription games over with? I only play a game once in a great while and even then it would be something considered very classic now days. Pac The Man, Maelstrom, Cro-Mag Rally use to always be on my Mac but now none are even compatible. Yes, I know I'm not in todays demographic but are us old guys out of luck when it comes to our classic games.

Reactions: ncc1701d

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
In the end all the classics will be on board the Arcade. By that time I will subscribe into Apple One. Right now Apple Music should suffice for my needs.

Reactions: boswald

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why doesnt Apple acquire old school game catalogs from Capcom or Neogeo or something…their arcade games will attract many people.

I don't the appeal for the target market is as high anymore. I think I used to remember NeoGeo (multi-game arcade boxes I think) and Capcom. It's possible some of their catalog is in extended licensing deals which could affect such acquisition interests. Most don't even recall those classic arcade games in their catalog.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Does it mean that it's only available on Arcade and not a one-time purchase?
Alto's games are nice and I have purchased previous two games but can't justify a monthly subscription for a game which I play occasionally in spare time. I am not interested in subscribing to the entire Arcade catalog.
If they release it as a one-time purchase then I would happily get it.

Reactions: BlueberryMac

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Does it mean that it's only available on Arcade and not a one-time purchase?
Alto's games are nice and I have purchased previous two games but can't justify a monthly subscription for a game which I play occasionally in spare time. I am not interested in subscribing to the entire Arcade catalog.
If they release it as a one-time purchase then I would happily get it.
Yes, that's what it means.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I'm two months into my three month trial, and so far the only game I've played consistently enough to leave it downloaded is Solitaire+. Apple needs to get it together with this Arcade business.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
These games always look good... There is already an offline 'Beyond a Steel Sky' version i have and it requires Directx 12 in windows...

Awesome games. I'd rather wait than pay for a subscription.

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
So are the days of non subscription games over with? I only play a game once in a great while and even then it would be something considered very classic now days. Pac The Man, Maelstrom, Cro-Mag Rally use to always be on my Mac but now none are even compatible. Yes, I know I'm not in todays demographic but are us old guys out of luck when it comes to our classic games.
Get a raspberry pi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.