Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Tell us why it’s easier, the app store will still be available for europeans…
I need an app; I open the App Store on my phone, search and download the App, and I'm done. No need to figure out which App Store to get said app, no need to set up multiple payments in other stores, etc ... And to those that say you can't get these Apps, I have never had an issue finding the App I needed to do whatever it was I was trying to do.

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Having 3rd party app stores is really looking like a crapshow. Saw that coming a mile away. More of a garbage experience than anything else. Really struggling to see ANY sort of benefit from this bs mandate.
It makes no difference for those who want to download from the App Store. People who wants to use apps that are banned from the App Store can now do so. It's really not that difficult to understand.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
It makes no difference for those who want to download from the App Store. People who wants to use apps that are banned from the App Store can now do so. It's really not that difficult to understand.
And there was already a company and platform that allows those who want to do this...to do it. It's really not that difficult to understand.

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
I’m just looking forward to the day developers can host their own open source applications and I can just download the IPA and drag-and-drop it to my iPhone in Finder, the same way I install applications on my Mac.
This is how things worked in the Windows Mobile days.

So it was actually seen as a huge improvement to have the on-device App Store instead of having to connect your phone to a PC then manually sideload apps.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I would like a setting I can toggle to block all stores other than the App Store to protect my security.
While I agree...unfortunately, it wouldn't help much. The simple fact that this is all in the code, whether you use it or not...is a security risk. The only way to reduce the risk that has been introduced by this forced change to the code...is to undo the changes to the code. But now due to the EU...that genie is out of the bottle and there's no turning back, no matter how bad it gets. Welcome to legislation that completely ignores potential negative outcomes...written by people who will try to push the blame for any negative outcomes, even though it's their fault.

rolfxd.

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2024
I need an app; I open the App Store on my phone, search and download the App, and I'm done. No need to figure out which App Store to get said app, no need to set up multiple payments in other stores, etc ... And to those that say you can't get these Apps, I have never had an issue finding the App I needed to do whatever it was I was trying to do.
You know that Apple Pay exists right?

Reactions: Jensend

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Just take a look at macOS for a more complex system which is more difficult to use.
macOS being more difficult to use is subjective.

Want an app for macOS to do a certain task such as monitor the MacBook's battery/health status?

(1) Check Mac App Store. If it's there, get it. If it's not (and it's not),...

(2) Type "coconut battery" into a search engine. Go to developers website and download it.

(3) Done.

As Phil Schiller might say, "Difficult, my ass!"

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m just looking forward to the day developers can host their own open source applications and I can just download the IPA and drag-and-drop it to my iPhone in Finder, the same way I install applications on my Mac.

The catch-22 is protecting users from themselves. Apple had an opportunity to do that from the start with iPhone, and they exploited it very successfully.

Thanks to old coats that can't let go of the past models, Apple is being forced to break that model.

Reactions: Timpetus

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I’m sure if people do not use the alternative app stores they will going to the EU to complain who will blame Apple in some way shape or form.
Without doubt this will all depend on Apple.
If Apple go out of their way to comply with the letter of the law as opposed to the spirit of the law.
And as with their "right to self repair" program, make it as difficult and expensive as possible to the point no resonable people will want to use it, then Apple will get blamed as so they should.
Apple knows, and anyone with half a brain can see Apple tried to be as difficult as possible (acting like a angry child) so many times, so I'm sure they will get their wrists slapped again and again until they are dragged to behaving in a manner that they should be doing for the good of everyone, and not just Apple shareholders.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Since a lot of people need to understand or have basic business acumen. Most developers will not make more money selling directly or placing their app in a lower volume App Store. Let us look at the numbers: say you sell your app for $5, average about 5,000 downloads a month from the Apple App Store, and pay a 15% commission. So that is a gross of $25,000 and a net of $21,250. Now, let's say you can get about 1,000 monthly sales from a store that only changes 5%. So that is a gross of $5000 and a net of $4,750, which is a difference of $16,500.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I’m all for supporting devs but why would anybody pay a subscription for a GBA emulator when you can install Skyemu as a free PWA on any device in any region without a jailbreak?

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
This is how things worked in the Windows Mobile days.

So it was actually seen as a huge improvement to have the on-device App Store instead of having to connect your phone to a PC then manually sideload apps.
What I assumed was obvious, I meant that users could install applications to their phone outside of the App Store by any means of copying an IPA to the phone. That could be drag-and-drop from a computer, or clicking on the link from a developers web page directly on device.

Nobody but the user should have any say over how or what software gets onto the device.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.