Alu 2.4 Macbook & Video stuttering in VLC

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by united002, Oct 31, 2008.

1. united002 macrumors newbie

Hiya

Ive just swapped my Air for a 2.4 stock macbook, im loving it so far!! much better than the Air (for me anyway!!).

The only thing ive noticed recently is that if play a ripped vilm on vlc off a flash memory stick i get no problems but if i transfer it to the hardrive and watch it it stutters every few minutes.

Anyone got any ideas why that would happen?

2. CBGFilms macrumors regular

Hmm Strange, its almost like the HDD isnt spinning fast enough...

3. united002 thread starter macrumors newbie

i did wonder about that, ive not noticed it being slow elsewhere completely the opposite i thought data tarnsfers were very very quick.

When i played a dvd that was fine too

4. ATimson macrumors regular

How big is the file, and what's the bitrate? I've had no problems playing MKVs that are about 1.33 GB/hour, whatever bitrate that works out to...

5. timestoby macrumors 6502

maybe cause vilm is a new file format or something. have you tried converting it to mp4?

6. united002 thread starter macrumors newbie

The bit rate is 177kbps or around that mark some do vary. whats mkv? the files play fine on a crappy windows laptop off the hardrive. maybe its using VLC as the player but like i said it runs great off a memory stick.

7. pw1388 macrumors member

maybe your on power saving mode that have the turn off hard drive when can.

8. Jak3 macrumors regular

I had a similar problem (only my audio was stuttering) with my 2.0 MB, tried the file in Miro, worked fine, concluded that VLC sucks or something :rolleyes:

9. united002 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think its VLC as well but will try the power saving and let you know, i downloaded perian and the same files play with no problems straight from the hardrive.

Are there any other good media players for osx? ive only been using it for a few months.

Thanks for the replies so far!! :)

10. chill. macrumors 6502

i had the same problem when using vlc to play .avi and .mkv files. i solved it by downloading the latest version of vlc (.95). apparently versions .90 to .94 have a deinterlacing (?) option turned on by default, which is causing video stutters. in version .95, the option is turned off by default

11. united002 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll need to check what version i have after work. That still doesnt explain the fact that only stutters when playing from the hardrive but not from memory stick though??

I'll check the power saving option as well

Cheers

12. united002 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure what ive done but it doesnt stutter anymore. ive updated the colour profile to one from another thread. Ive ticked and unticked the hardrive power saving mode and it doesnt stutter at all now!!

Weird!!

13. goddylla macrumors newbie

same issue here

new 2 Ghz Macbook.
    Stuttering problem in Quicktime and VLC 9.6.

My first gen intel 2 Ghz macbook works fine with all of my ripped mp4 files. Originally, I thought it was because I was playing the vids off of my networked drive (attached to an Airport Base Station) but when I directly attached the drive to the macbook the problem persisted.

Any thoughts?

14. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Just tested VLC 9.4 on a Macbook 2.0 and had the stuttering issue. Switched to VLC 9.8a, used the "delete vlc preferences" script in the included goodies folder on the .dmg, and all stuttering issues have been fixed.

15. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I am using VLC 0.96 and its working fine.

Although, 0.94 didn't work too well - stuttering problem. Upgraded to 0.96 and works a treat.

16. kolax macrumors G3

Keep hard drive power saving on ("put hard drives to sleep when possible").