Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andychris02

macrumors member
Original poster
Hi, I am going to buy a 2.8ghz 24" Alu iMac in the new year, a question I have is is the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics processor 256MB of GDDR3 memory good enough to run Windows games such as Gears of War, UT3 and the like?

Also, have there been any rumors of an updated iMac (the new intel chips, new graphics card, etc.) being released in the new year after Macworld as I want to make sure that I get the most "up-to-date" mac I can?

I am being careful this time since I bought my old iMac a couple of years ago and then the intel based macs were released 2 weeks later, I was gutted since I didn't research / read any news, not this time!

Thanks helping this newbie.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Just finished playing COD4 on a 24" 2.4ghz with high settings. I also play Bioshock on it's highest settings. Trying to purchase GOW right now, and I am sure that it plays that as well. Of course there will be an update to the iMacs in the future. In the far future as they were just updated. :)

nhexima

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
There aren't any rumors as of yet, but if you can wait 3 weeks you might as well for MacWorld. I'm hoping that the CPU/video card will be updated, myself. However this is unlikely, since the last big update was in August.

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
Hi, I am going to buy a 2.8ghz 24" Alu iMac in the new year, a question I have is is the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics processor 256MB of GDDR3 memory good enough to run Windows games such as Gears of War, UT3 and the like?

Also, have there been any rumors of an updated iMac (the new intel chips, new graphics card, etc.) being released in the new year after Macworld as I want to make sure that I get the most "up-to-date" mac I can?

I am being careful this time since I bought my old iMac a couple of years ago and then the intel based macs were released 2 weeks later, I was gutted since I didn't research / read any news, not this time!

Thanks helping this newbie.
I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm buying the 24" 2.4ghz model when I get my tax return. As long my iMac can play WoW and the soon to be released Starcraft 2 I'm content.

andychris02

macrumors member
Original poster
Thanks for the replies, the more I think about it the more I realize that it would be too soon for Apple to update the iMac since the latest version was only released in August '07. By the same token, it's only a few weeks till Macworld so I mas as well wait.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.