Alu iMac 20" 2.4GHz - can it run Tiger?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by spriter, Feb 20, 2008.

1. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

As subject. I'm looking at one of these but it needs to boot Tiger as well as Leopard.

Thanks.

2. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

Good question.

The first batch of ALU iMacs shipped with Tiger, so it's definitely a possibility.

The question is, if the ALU iMacs that shipped pre-loaded with Leopard, can go back to Tiger. Apple usually makes it so machines can't go back to an OS that came before it. Since there was an overlap between OS's for this line of hardware, unless Apple altered the bios in machines that shipped pre-loaded with Leopard, you should be able to go back to Tiger.

So, anyone try/go back to Tiger on a computer that came pre-loaded with Leopard?

3. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

our of interest, why would you want to use an older OS?

i expect it can be done by partitioning..

4. spriter thread starter macrumors 65816

spriter

Some of my software has problems in Leopard so for the moment, I still need Tiger as an option.

5. James17 macrumors 6502

Bought my iMac in December 2007, it came with tiger preinstalled, got the leopard drop-in dvd which I then used so the answer is yes:)

6. spriter thread starter macrumors 65816

spriter

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Im running Tiger on mine right now as i type this. I have Leopard in the box but i haven't upgraded

8. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Same here, but has anyone had one pre-installed with leopard and downgraded? Isn't that what the OP will have to do? I'd assume a clean install would be unaware of what was on the machine before and just hose over the top...... but can anyone confirm this?

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

YES OF COURSE!

The first batch of Alu iMacs all shipped with Tiger.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Only problem you'd have is getting the disks for Tiger. The retail version as far as I know is only for PPC. So you'd be looking at finding the restore disks.

11. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

ehh?

What is this 'bios' thing you speak of? Egads.. are you using PC-speak in here?!? ;):D