Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
My Alu iMac has one annoying problem in that it won't automatically reconnect to my WiFi router when I either first boot it or wake from sleep. My old iMac G5 on 10.4.10 did this every time, as does my PowerBook. Having read the Apple Discussion forums I'm not alone with this.

It's possible that the problem is in the driver for the Santa Rosa chipset being used on this model, but I have been wondering whether there is a setting I've pulled over whilst importing my data that perhaps is having an effect.

Firstly, does this sound reasonable or not? Secondly, if it does sound plausible has anybody tried installing the 10.4.10 Combo updater from the Apple website to see whether it sorts the issue? If so, what were the results?

(BTW, sorry for starting this in the OSX forum, but it occurred to me that if the SR chipset is the cause some MBP owners might be having the same issue).

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Ive found that if you manually set up your network connection (set your IP, router, DNS servers etc), you get far fewer disconnects.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
I don't actually get disconnects once it joins the network, it's only when waking or starting the computer that there's a problem.

For info, the router is a Netgear WGR614v4 and I'm using WPA-PSK for the encryption, although it doesn't make any difference if that gets changed to WEP, and as stated both the PowerPC machines never had this issue so I'm pretty sure it's the wireless chip or driver in the iMac at fault.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
Firstly, does this sound reasonable or not? Secondly, if it does sound plausible has anybody tried installing the 10.4.10 Combo updater from the Apple website to see whether it sorts the issue? If so, what were the results?

Does that question mean that you currently arent on 10.4.10? im pretty sure you would experience problems if you arent because the Alu is so new and 10.4.10 would probably contain quite a number of patches for it.

Also, if you are already 10.4.10 you might find 10.4.11 fixes the issue.. Apparently its iminent!

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Does that question mean that you currently arent on 10.4.10? im pretty sure you would experience problems if you arent because the Alu is so new and 10.4.10 would probably contain quite a number of patches for it.

Also, if you are already 10.4.10 you might find 10.4.11 fixes the issue.. Apparently its imminent!
It's already on 10.4.10, but I don't remember seeing that as available in Software Update, which would mean that it was at that level prior to importing all my data and settings in the Migration Assistant. It qualifies for the UTD Leopard upgrade, so although I'll go to 10.4.11 if that does arrive soon, it's possible this problem could disappear in a couple of weeks when I install the upgrade. I suppose more than anything else I'm looking for a quick fix.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
just looking quickly at my post and yours.. did you correct my spelling in my quoted text?? lol.... could be an early sign of OCD
I did, but only because Camino makes it blindly obvious when there's a spelling mistake. I just don't like seeing those big red lines under words :eek:

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Happens to me

My Alu iMac has one annoying problem in that it won't automatically reconnect to my WiFi router when I either first boot it or wake from sleep. My old iMac G5 on 10.4.10 did this every time, as does my PowerBook. Having read the Apple Discussion forums I'm not alone with this.

It's possible that the problem is in the driver for the Santa Rosa chipset being used on this model, but I have been wondering whether there is a setting I've pulled over whilst importing my data that perhaps is having an effect.

(BTW, sorry for starting this in the OSX forum, but it occurred to me that if the SR chipset is the cause some MBP owners might be having the same issue).

However rarely, but it does happen and I am hardwire connected to the router. Go figure.:confused:

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
I have the new iMac, and I rarely have that problem, mines is connected to airport extreme though:eek:
Did you install the Software Update they released? From the threads on the Discussion Boards it looks like all was well until that came out. That's why I was wondering whether re-installing 10.4.10 would overwrite whatever the update had changed and broken.

bb10lue

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Melbourne Australia
Did you install the Software Update they released? From the threads on the Discussion Boards it looks like all was well until that came out. That's why I was wondering whether re-installing 10.4.10 would overwrite whatever the update had changed and broken.

You mean the new airport software and firmware updates? Yes, I did. Other than that, no, i just got mine this Monday.:D

bb10lue

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Melbourne Australia
Oh forgot to mention this, i had internet connection problem a couple of days ago (slow internet and frequent dropouts). The guy from apple told me to change the setting on the extreme, and everythings super after that:D!!!

So if yours is airport extreme as well, go to the airport utility, and double click on your base station, then go to the wireless option in the new pop-up window, change the channel to 2 or 6, and update:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.