Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mugatu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Hi,

I'd really appreciate any help with this as my 11 month old iMac has hit a big problem!

I turned it on the other night only to see it boot to a flashing blue screen. The screen has a mouse pointer but nothing to click/select. The mac stays like this and never progresses. After doing some searching I've tried the following...

1) Reset the PVram - no luck

2) Tried booting in safe mode. I get a login window but it won't let me log in. Usually my mac is set to boot straight in to Leopard and I do not have a user password. Leaving the password box blank and trying to log in doesnt work.

3) I inserted the leopard install disc and did an archive/reinstall. All went though ok but again after a restart it asks me for a password. I tired my blank password as usual - no luck!

4) Using utilities by booting off the leopard install disc I reset my password, this time to an 8 digit password. I restarted again and tried logging in with new password, but again it won't log in!

5) I'm currently doing a full time machine restore to see if this fixes it but I don't hold out any hope.

Anyone got any ideas? If it helps I'm using an early 2008 alu imac 20 inch with 2.0 ghz intel adn 2gb ram.

Thanks so much in advance!

Dan

mugatu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Just to let everyone know the Time Machine backup fixed everything. What a lifesaver!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.