Alu iMac DVD-RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by splashtech, Dec 12, 2007.

1. splashtech macrumors regular

Can anyone advise me whether the latest alu iMac is capable of reading (and writing) DVD-RAM media? A google search yields less than useful results, mostly about the old G4 (!!) macs.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

The author was asking about DVD-RAM, not -/+RW, so it's not that simple.

Obviously, since it's a slot-loading drive, it won't work with any of the older in-case RAM media. Since Apple doesn't specifically list -RAM capability on the drive, I'm going to lean toward "probably not". Apple tends to use more than one source for its optical drive, so it's possible that some may have the capability, but I'm going to assume not all do or they'd mention it.

Actually, as far as I know, the last time Apple explicitly sold DVD-RAM-capable drives was way back in the early G4 tower era--I still have one of those drives.

Of course, external -RAM compatible drives are pretty darned cheap these days, so unless compactness is a major concern it's not that tough to add.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

If it doesn't explicitly say they drive is -RAM capable the chance is essentially zero, DVD-RAM is pretty much gone.

4. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

thanks, I've deleted the post.

dear OP, why not go to an apple store and try for yourself?

5. splashtech thread starter macrumors regular

I could, but the nearest Apple store is about 50 miles away... and I'd feel a little silly walking in there, finding the nearest iMac and shoving a disc in the side. I was just wondering since I'll be getting an iMac after xmas and I have some DVD-RAM discs. It won't actually affect my purchasing decision though.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'd test for you, since there's an alu iMac at work, except all my -RAM discs are the caddy-only kind. I agree with kuebby that the chances are pretty slim, but it's not quite fair to call it a dead format. Not common, definitely, but most of the DVD burner mechanism manufacturers support DVD-RAM--Sony, Lite-on, Samsung, Plextor, LG, Phillips all have DVD-RAM-supporting drives, and even Pioneer's newer Blu-Ray reading drives do (outside case, I assume). All tray-load, though--not sure about slot-load drives.

Anyway, probably won't write, probably will read (don't most drives now?), but sticking one in is the only way to really be sure, even if somebody else tests it for you, since Apple may be using more than one brand of drive for the same model.

7. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Perhaps a best buy or similar retailer?

8. splashtech thread starter macrumors regular

We don't have "Best Buy" here in the UK. I dont know what kind of shop it is, but I would guess something like PC World is similar. There is one of them nearby, but you can barely walk through the door without hundreds of assistants jumping on you and trying desperately to sell you most of the shop.

9. splashtech thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I think I have my answer. I made the assumption that the iMac drive is similar to the drive in my macbook so decided to try a DVD-RAM disc in there. It reads, but it cannot write. Shame, but not really a big issue. Just means I have some DVD-RAM discs (some of which are not even used) which are going to be fairly useless.

Thanks for everyone who tried to help :)