Alu Macbook button popping out

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by inflynx, Jan 8, 2009.

1. inflynx macrumors member

Searched this but didn't find anything similar.

I have a problem with a "q" button on my 2.4 Alu Makbook. If I press (normal gentle) the button several times near the left edge, the right edge of the button would pop out.
    To put it back in I would have to push the button hard until a little click.

I took the button out completely and there is nothing wrong with it visually. Reattached and it still keeps popping out.

The fanny thing is that I only use macbook connected to the external monitor and keyboard so I really used a built in keyboard one or two times.

Has anyone had anything like that? Is there a way to fix it? Should I take to Apple Store?

2. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

If the key keeps popping out, then yes take it back, it sounds most annoying......

3. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

Without a doubt: return it. I returned a Macbook recently that had a couple of crunchy keys. The tactile feeling was off on them. Very annoying. I took it back and got one that's flawless. It also happens to run cooler. If it's returnable make sure your retailer doesn't try to palm off an open box on you. If it's just under warranty get it serviced. Shouldn't be doing that.

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yep. I would advise you to just return it and get a new one, or get it repaired.

5. inflynx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, I will go to AppleStore next week and see what can be done.

6. inflynx thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I took my Macbook to the AppleStore and the guy replaced the button and a mechanism underneath.

He said if this happens again I should come back and they will order the whole aluminium top and replace it for me since the keyboard is soldered in the case.

Well, I came home and the button popped out again in a few presses.

I really don't want them to mess the whole computer as if the take it apart to change the top it will never be the same as factory assembled.

Do you think I can ask for a new Macbook instead?

7. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

ditto! :eek:

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

When did you buy it? I would ask for a replacement.

9. inflynx thread starter macrumors member

I bought it close to the release date, which is 2-3 month ago + I have AppleCare.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Oo.. Well, I would ask for a replacement.

My launch date unibody was replaced on December 17 or something because it had a few problems:

- bad HDD
    - bad superdrive
    - bad audio jack

The genius didn't want to repair it because he said he had too many, and it would take him forever. Plus it was the holidays.

11. inflynx thread starter macrumors member

OK then, I made an appointment with a genius for this week so we'll see how it goes.

12. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

Happened to me with the G key. I took it in, and they replaced the whole computer on the spot. They said it was broken, and it would never "Be the same" even if they fixed it. They swapped the hard drive, and I was on my way.

It WAS my fault though, I was typing... Gogogogogogogogogogogogogogogoogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogoogo for like 10 mins and it broke.

I <3 :apple:

13. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

My "O" key just started doing this too. It's only slightly annoying - I'm just worried I might lose it.

14. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Just take it back to the apple store and ask them to replace it for you.

15. inflynx thread starter macrumors member

Right, took it to Apple Store and they said they could not exchange it as it is over 4 weeks old (not sure how true that is) so they would have to repair it which would involve changing the whole casing as I have described above.

I tried to say it will never be the same and that I can't give away my mac as I use it all the time. The genius then went all about "how professional their repair guys are and I shouldn't worry".

Anyway, I havn't gave the computer in just yet as I actually have to do some critical work in the next few days.

I would be 1000 time more happy if they just have exchanged it :(

16. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

i returned mine a week after I bought it. my f4 key popped out. The Genius told me it could be considered DOA and replaced mine for me. They told me I had to leave my laptop here and they would do a migration for my hd. I asked them to just switch the HD and the genius said no. I went on my way. The next day, I picked it up and they said they just switched the HD and it was done. -__-

17. inflynx thread starter macrumors member

Well, finally got it repaired. They have changed the whole unibody case and the keyboard.

Got my macbook returned to me very clean and undamaged.

Despite the inconvenience it has caused me I am very happy with the result.

18. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Great.....glad you got it sorted out........

19. amrk47 macrumors regular

i have the same exact issue

but i will be pursuing a new unit tomorrow at the store

no repair time for me