Alu macbook can't get cd out! [HELP]

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NSK123, Mar 11, 2009.

1. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Ok so I just bought a new 2.0 ghz alu macbook and decided to install Win XP.

I inserted a retail WinXP SP3 disc and booted up, didn't use bootcamp I just deleted all the partitions and formated the 160gb one to NTFS and then I started the intallation, the problem is that the macbook just hangs during the WinXP installation.. Keeps saying 39min left for a very long time.. Soo How do I get the CD out now?

I tried rebooting and holding the eject key but nothing...

Is there a trick or am I completely screwed?

2. rocwiff macrumors newbie

Try shutting down the system and hold down the trackpad/mouse button while you power it back up. Keep holding the mouse button until the CD ejects. Should eject within 30-seconds maybe less. BTW you should install Windows with the Bootcamp utility. I don't think it will work without bootcamp due to the Mac's using EFI firmware and PC's using BIOS. You''l probably have to boot up from your restore CD, reformat, restore the original software and try again with the Bootcamp utility in OSX.

3. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

Yeah your right holding down the trackpad key and rebooting worked, the Direct XP install didn't work, I just thought I read somewhere that it would work, I don't really use OSX and have no want/need for it so the 15gb it's taking up could have been useful.

What would happen if I deleted the Leopard Partition? would it still work or is Windows running on the macbook completely dependent of the OSX being installed?

4. titancomputing macrumors newbie

I've had trouble with the drive on a MB before. Had to use an Exacto knife to pry the slot open and get the disc out. :eek:

5. CSilver macrumors 6502

This isn't really relevant to your question but I have this CD but it isn't circular... more like half size of what the normal CD should be... I could put that in the PC CD rom but I am too scared to put it in my Macbook since the Superdrive in Macbook won't recognize the CD placed in until pushed further in....

Any ideas how this would work??

6. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

umm? if you have one of those mini CD's or whatever they are called I would burn it onto a regular sized 700MB disc to stick into the MB.

But hey you could always try, if you can't get it out.. then i guess the lesson would be learned.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Don't try putting it into your MacBook. The superdrive will only handle full sized CDs and DVDs. Apple warns against using anything smaller than a standard size disc and there have been users who've had those discs stuck in their superdrive because they tried. As NSK123 suggested, copy it to a regular disc using your PC. You could also make a disc image using Nero or some other similar program, transfer it to your MacBook, and mount it onto the desktop that way.

8. rocwiff macrumors newbie

Hmm... It may be possible through some hack method. I'm not real sure since i've never tried installing just Windows on a Mac without OSX. Try googling around and see if you can find instructions from someone who has done it before. Not sure if deleting the Leopard partition would work. You could try and see what happens. If it did work you would still need to repartition the empty space or expand your windows partition somehow.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

As I recall, you can purchase full size cds that you can fit these mini-cds into to let slot loading drives read them. Not sure where you'd find one of these though.