Alu Macbook Excessive "Thinking" Noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by starmor, Jan 17, 2009.

1. starmor macrumors newbie

Hello, I have the 13'' Macbook, this is the second one I've had in the past half month. The first one had a constant whine coming from the hardrive, so they gave me a new one, within days this one started doing it too, but I've just learned to live with it, my room is really really quiet so whatever.

Anyways, lately my new one makes a parking head noise usually when I'm not doing anything, if I just leave the keyboard and trackpad alone, it does it maybe one or twice, but I've read that's normal, I think.

However, lately it's starting to make that noise that all computers make when it 'thinks', that little light noise that I can't describe, but you probably know what I'm talking about. It didn't do it before and I can't seem to click a link online without hearing it, it's not too loud, but I just want to make sure that's normal considering it only just started becoming audible.

Does anyone else's do this? Can you hear yours 'think'?

2. MrM macrumors 6502

Is it connected to the internet when it does this? It may be due to the fact that when you are connected to the internet your computer constantly has data going back and forth. Check it out in the Activity Monitor. When nothing else is running.

3. starmor thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it only does it when I'm accessing pages, when the pages are done loading it pretty much stops until I load a different one, which I can imagine is normal.

but it didn't use to do that, I've been paranoid about my Mac having issues since I got it. :(

If you click a link or go to a site, should you be able to slightly hear the hardrive make that noise?

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I think I know what you mean about the "thinking" noise. You mean the screeching-type noise on PCs? On PCs you can tell when it happens because the LED light on the desktop tower beings to flash until the process is done.

If so, then yes I hear it on my MacBook Pro too. I just opened a few links and was able to hear it. It was very faint and had to get the room to be ultra quiet before I heard it. I think that's normal as long as it's not very loud. Just enjoy the machine and don't keep looking for flaws!

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

If all computers do it, then why should yours be any different?

6. starmor thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I see so many people saying their late 2008 macbooks are dead silent even during activity.

7. starmor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! :]

8. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I have a late 08 MBP. When I am using it in power saving mode, it is whisper quiet.

9. bradenwh macrumors 6502

I can't even hear my aluminum MacBook. The only time it makes even the slightest noise is when it's using the SuperDrive.