Alu Macbook Having Airport Troubles When Used In clamshell.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, Jul 30, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

When ever I use my Macbook in clamshell mode hooked up to an external monitor using the MDP-DVI Connector, it seems to ALWAYS eventually drop the connection. It rarely does this when not in clamshell, It happens once and a while. But when its hooked up to the external display, in this case, A 52" Toshiba Regza, It seems to be A) Either Excruciatingly slow, OR It drops the connection all together.

2. courboy macrumors regular

I have heard you should not really use it in clamshell mode anyway as the laptop heats up pretty quickly and can damage the machine. I may be wrong of course..

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If it does in any way harm the computer, Apple would not have disabled clamshell mode operation a long time ago.

I have been running in clamshell mode all the time since I bought the MB, except during lectures a few times a week. I have experienced no problem what so ever.

As for the wifi reception, the antenna is embedded around the screen. Closing the lid will unavoidable decrease the signal strength. You need to find a way to boost your wifi signal.

4. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

clamshell mode is bad for your laptop, laptops are designed to allow smooth airflow, clamsell doesn't allow that - its just for aesthetic purposes right :p

as for the wireless problem, the airport antenna is towards the top of the lid on the apple side of the case and when its shut it will have a lot of problems picking up a signal due to all the metal from the bottom case.

designed to be used open - clamshell internet will work better with an ethernet cable.

5. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Well, my Router is about 15 feet away from the computer. And the strength is at full bars. So I don't think it has anything to do with reception of the signal. It just drops the signal all together.

Also, clamshell is not bad for your computer at all. Its designed to be able to handle just as well as it would be with the lid open.

I think ill try to leave the lid open next time and see if that does anything.

6. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I routinely use my MacBook (aluminum) in clamshell mode at home on a wireless network without problems. Sometimes, however, I will crack the lid open about an inch or so, which might help with airflow and reception, but, again, I usually have no problems.

Perhaps you could do clamshell mode with your MacBook, then open the lid. As you know, clamshell mode must be started with the lid closed, but the lid can them be opened and you will remain in clamshell mode until you wake the computer from sleep or restart, at which point the computer will decide again. (I know it's not as elegant as when it's closed, but you can at least use your external display--or do as I sometimes do and crack it open. You'll barely notice; just remember to close it when you sleep it so it won't revert to dual-display when you wake it up.)

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

With my MBP in clamshell mode, both my WiFi and BT slow down. If I open it back up, they both pick up speed.

The only issue I have with the slower WiFi is that EyeTV can't stream live TV from my HDHomeRun .. it stutters and then gives up. If I open the MBP, it runs fine.

The Bluetooth part I wouldn't believe if it wasn't happening to me. My mouse is less than 2 feet away from my MBP, and there are times when it's slow as heck (when the MBP is in clamshell mode). If I open it up, the mouse starts scrolling smoothly. Close it, it goes back to jumpy/slow.

For the WiFi, I'm guessing it's the placement of the antenna. No clue about the BT. :confused:

8. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Well the bluetooth is not a problem for me. ITs just the wifi signal. I actually have opened the lid up now and it seems to be working. a bit of a inconvenience, but It'll be fine..

Thanks A lot Guys.