Alu. MacBook Heat Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by acfusion29, Dec 20, 2009.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

So lately, for some reasons, every little thing that I did on my MacBook caused it to heat up and the fans to spin up.

Before, I would be able to use Photoshop and have Firefox open with some tabs (no flash based websites) and it would be fine.

Now, I can't even have Photoshop open, and god forbid I start editing a photo... the thing will get loud and hot.

Right now, I have 3 tabs open in Firefox (they are 3 separate forums including MR), Mail, Adium and TweetDeck and the laptop is hot and the fans are spinning.

It all started when I installed Snow Leopard and it gradually got worse over time.

Things I tried to remedy the issue:

Reset PRAM
    Reset SMC
    Blew out the fan

Any other suggestions? What could be wrong? I would call Apple but I don't have phone support.

2. celticpride678

Try using a fan control program such as smcFanControl and kicking the fans up a little.

3. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Thanks for the prompt reply, however... I don't want to use that program because I did before (on my Black MB) and it caused even more problems.

The fact that it used to work just fine before makes me worried that it could be a hardware issue, specifically a cooling issue.

4. celticpride678

It could be an issue with your fan. Take a look at Activity Monitor and find any processor intensive tasks. That could be an issue.

5. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Alright.

Is there anyway I can do a hardware check?

6. celticpride678

Use the Application Install DVD that comes with your Mac and hold down the "D" key at startup with the disc inserted.