Alu Macbook Lid Loose

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anish3232, Mar 28, 2009.

1. anish3232 macrumors member

My 5-6 month old Macbook now has a loose lid. If you flip the macbook upside down the lid comes undone. If you hold the Macbook from the hinge the lid comes undone form the body. What can I do?

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

When you say it comes undone.. do you mean the hinge comes loose form the body, or that the screen opens?!

If it's the second one, all i can tell you is that it's normal when you turn it upside down. All the Unibody macbooks are designed that way to make opening the screen easier.

3. anish3232 thread starter macrumors member

Screen opens, I looked at my roommates MacBook and his is pretty strong compared to mine.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I just tested mine out and when I flip it upside down or hold it at a 90 degree angle by the hinge, it opens about 1 inch. I guess that's pretty normal.
    What does yours do?

5. anish3232 thread starter macrumors member

Same thing, hold yours Vertical with the hinge side down and see if it opens. Mine opens (1inch) when the whole computer is vertical.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Yeah mine's doing the exact same thing.. I've had a couple before this one, and they were all doing the same thing. I think it's just the way they are.
    I usually carry mine in a sleeve so I'm not worried about it opening in my bag or anything...

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Is that the only time it is 'affected'? When it's held upside down? If so, that hardly seems like an issue...no?

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

So you guys are flipping your Mac's upside down right? Apple logo facing the floor and only hanging on to the 'thicker piece'?
    I just wanted to make sure cause mine definitely does NOT open when I hold it like that.
    I dont think the 13" MB's should do that. Ive read about the Pro's doing it because the screen is bigger/heavier.

I dont get what you guys mean by "holding it by the hinge"

9. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

10. bori macrumors member

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Same here, and a guy I work with has an Alu macbook and we were talking about this the other day.

12. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

[​IMG]

JK, lol :D

Since it is under a year old, take it to the Apple store and ask them to fix it. ;)

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Place the Macbook hinge down in the palm of your hand, with the front sticking straight up.

I've heard of some MBs having stronger magnets than others, but so far what I've generally seen in my friends' macboooks is pretty much the same thing.
    I really don't see how it should be an issue, other than what I addressed in my previous post.

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Ok gotcha... Yea mine doesnt open when its vertical or upside down AND I dont get the marks on my screen from the keys... Strange.

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Haha.. not strange at all! Just PERFECT :D

16. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

True! Thats a better way of looking at it! ;)